• This topic has 41 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by mboy.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • New LED light time – £200 to spend
  • Rik
    Free Member

Had a Hope vision 4 now for a couple of years still a great light, but a couple of guys are now running L&M Secca 1700s which are ridiculously bright and if they are following behind I can’t see a thing. So new light time.

Got £200 ish to spend on a bar only light. Need maximum lumens (1500 real lumens +) so rules out another Hope. light don’t want a cheap Chinese special. So UK based purchase. Can stretch to £250 if needed but no more.

I’m a bit out of the loop to what’s out there. Any ideas?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

ride behind them?

trout
    Free Member

I have some slightly below perfect anodised Dominators going for £250

more than enough lupins to fight in the arms race and win .

theotherjonv

I know Trout’s lights are always well thought of but personally never used one. I’m very happy with my Four4th’s.

http://four4th.co.uk/

Rik
    Free Member

Trout – thanks for offer £250 is properly pushing the budget if you could come in a little less then we could have deal.

I’ve tried emailing you before but it keeps on coming up as a rejected email.

Will have a luck at 4th too not heard of them

The glow worm is not powerful enough .

trickydisco
    Free Member

I know Trout’s lights are always well thought of but personally never used one. I’m very happy with my Four4th’s.

LUMENS: 2900

Flipping heck!!!

Luminous
    Free Member

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/accessories/lights/front/product/review-luminous-lights-401-pro-lights-11-45655

WMB liked the 401, they used it as a bar light and liked it. Some of the figures in the article aren’t quite correct. But the main news is a Hope R4 competitor version of the model 401 is coming out.
    1400 lumens for 55 mins. 1000 lumens for 1hr 55 mins. Just from a lightweight 2 cell battery.

There is a 4 cell version available too, 1400 lumens for 2 hrs, 1000 lumens for around 3.5 hrs.
    There is a low setting of 400 lumens, but I don’t have the runtimes to hand.

All are at new, lower, prices for 2012. The website will be up again, soon.

trout
    Free Member

Rik

This one got through the gremlins and replied

Rik
    Free Member

Thanks Chris replied back

Luminous – def looking for something with more punch than that

The-milkybar-kid
    Free Member

I have a mk2 2012 exposure six pack done 2 rides £215 posted.

shortcut

I have been using one of these for the last year without issue.
    http://four4th.co.uk/products/lights/holy-moses/

tomaso
    Free Member

Get the Hope4 upgraded to better LEDs

deus

Have a look at the fluxient then,
    http://www.torchythebatteryboy.com/p/bike-light-database.html
    i hope to see one of them and a gloworm x2 in my near future…..

on fluxient T6

There comes a point when you don’t need any more light from a bike light. This is it.

on the U2 (beam pattern)

The same as the Fluxient 3x T6 with around 20% more light output.

At around £140, Fluxient have taken hints too far. Nobody needs this much light, but that’s not the same as saying a lot of people don’t want this much light. Probably matches the Niterider Pro 3000 for output.

cooie

Get the Hope4 upgraded to better LEDs

This.
    Just had mine done by Chris and it’s awesome, cost £90 and is now 2000 lumens 🙂

Rik
    Free Member

Troutie is a star and offered me a deal I couldn’t resist. A Darkness Dominator will hopefully be on it’s way soon. Can’t wait……..

cooie

I borrowed the proto Darkness Dominator and my mate’s got one, you’ll love it. Stupid amount of light. Enjoy 😀 Intended to buy one myself until Chris started doing the Hope 4 conversion.

Baldysquirt

You just can’t help yourself can you Rik…. 😉

jedi

i love my trouite dominator. trouble is my daughter does too so looks like i’ll be using her old hope lights once troutie has hopped them up 🙂

Herts_Night_Ride_0020 by ukbikeskills, on Flickr

br
    Free Member

I’ve a pair of Exposure lights (Joystick and Toro) but tbh I’d find it very difficult not to buy the cheaper ebay-type lights next time.

Most of the guys I ride with have them and they are so good/cheap now – like the £15 torches that are as good as Joysticks etc.

wurzelcube
    Free Member

How does the Troutie DD compare to the Exposure Six Pack or Maxx-D does it have a brighter and wider beam pattern?

Rik
    Free Member

Not my fault Paul! Blame Duncan and his new light. It was as bad as when you had the old hope 2 and everybody else had upgraded!

Going to get my own back on Weds!

ruscle
    Free Member

Good choice on the DD from troutie. I got a similar light from goldigger on mtbr and the light output and spread is insane. You will be flying downhill as quick as you do in day light and will out shine your mates no worries

The-milkybar-kid
    Free Member

The DD is a lot brighter and wider than a six pack I have had both I wish I never sold the DD have you got anymore cheap ones troutie?

trout
    Free Member

Phew just back from a bastid two days working away and the postie has left a heap of Hopes and Ayups to upgrade going to be a busy weekend and still got a few to collect from the sorting office .

Thanks Milkybar-kid for the comparison I have not had a six pack to check out \ compare .

and to answer your question yes I have a couple of marked ones going at a good price .
    and while I learn the art of anodising will probably have a few more test lights going for a bargain .

Rik
    Free Member

POSTED 3 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

Def prefer Trouties thanks…..

wurzelcube
    Free Member

Troutie is the good price £250 as per your website?

I’m torn – I love the all in one simplicity of my Maxx-D but would like something a bit brighter and wider beam (I’m never happy and always want more 😆

trout
    Free Member

Wurzelcube

It is though it can be a little cheaper if Paypal is not involved
    or you went for a smaller capacity battery
    if long runtimes were not hugely important

4.4 amp hour battery gives approx 2.5 hours on full
    5 hours on med and lots on low

small battery gives half those figures

vinnyeh

troutie, are you able to/have done upgrades to any of the Exposure lights (specifically the Max)?

trout
    Free Member

Vinnyeh
    there is a joystick out there that I did last winter ( if its still going )

not had a go at a Max

stevemorg2

Troutie – any news on the light we discussed a couple of weeks ago?

trout
    Free Member

Hi Steve

Got this one finished

you are welcome to give it a try but will have to be when I come home from lake Garda as wanted to take it as a backup light .

stevemorg2

would love to try it Chris – let me know when you get back

mboy
    Free Member

Troutie. Tried emailing a few times, reckon probably got held up in junk mail filter possibly.

Anyway… Can you get back to me… Was after a quote to upgrade the connectors on the Liberator I bought off ton, as I think they’re the problem with why the light hasn’t been totally reliable (newer connectors that you use on all new lights look a lot better), and also potential gains to be made going for the latest XPG’s in the light if any.

Cheers

trout
    Free Member

Steve

Back on the 30th sept you better jog my memory as its 99.99999999% certain i will have forgot .

Mboy cant find any mails its times like this that a PM function would be good on here .

approx 20% increase in lumens with the XPG-2s and better throw so is worth doing
    I cant take on owt till I come back and would need to order in some G-2`s

stevemorg2

Chris – am I best off dropping you a reminder through thid thread or emailing you? – I’m not convinced my emails always get through to you – I’ve sent a couple over the last few months and not got any reply

trout
    Free Member

Emails been ok the last couple of weeks so hoping to have exorcised the gremlins
    pop us a test mail and lets see if it get here.

vinnyeh

Emailed you as well about possibility of upgrading my Exposure.

stevemorg2

YHM

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘New LED light time – £200 to spend’ is closed to new replies.