Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • new lawn vs moles vs preventative measures..
  • tymbian
    Free Member

I’ve been asked to lay a new lawn on top of an existing one that has been a playground for moles. My Q is, can I put a bird-netting down before I lay the new turf to prevent moles coming through. The bird-netting is the type of net you wrap around fruit-trees, raspberry canes etc. Or do I need something stronger like chicken-wire?

Wrong Forum, mods please move.

matt_outandabout

Get some mole traps.

Kevevs
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etpHKueh6S0[/video]

Sorry. Couldn’t help it.

wallop

You need a Westie.

oldboy
    Free Member

+1 for the mole traps. I honestly think that laying the new lawn withot getting rid of them will end in tears.

fervouredimage
    Free Member

Yeah, I’ve got a Westie who will sort them out for you no problem.

tymbian
    Free Member

@ oldboy ..the idea is to put a mole ‘ barrier ‘ between the two lawns.

SaxonRider

I haven’t seen a mole since I moved to the UK, and now we have had a couple of threads about them in the last couple of weeks. I’m feeling left out. 🙁

Shrews I had at my house in Manchester, but no moles. Are they only found in some parts of the country?

oldboy
    Free Member

How are you going to convince the
    moles that it’s a barrier?

Kevevs
    Free Member

I’ve seen a dead one halfway up Snowdon.

tymbian
    Free Member

There’s a mountain/ molehill joke there somewhere..

mikey74
    Free Member

rockhopperbike

lay a good layer of sand before you lay the new soil/and then turf- moles wont like the sand- thats how cricket pitches stay clear -[mostly]

CountZero

Just sit in an upstairs window with one of these:

tymbian
    Free Member

I recently had to dig up part of a lawn to extend a patio. Underneath the grass at ‘turf-depth’ there was fruit netting. I can only assume it was to stop moles getting through.

tymbian
    Free Member

@ countzero.. that would be a lot of fun but as the lawn’s not for me I don’t think the lady client would to impressed if I offered to take my gun out in her bedroom..

Or then again…..

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘new lawn vs moles vs preventative measures..’ is closed to new replies.