Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • New laptop/windows 10
  • MartynS

Evening all,

Got a new HP laptop running 10.
    The 30 day Mcafee trial is over so I’ve uninstalled it with view to using windows defender.
    Defender wanted to run a scan so I clicked on full scan.
    24 hours later it’s still going…. that’s not right is it.. ?
    it’s only got pre-installed stuff in it, we’ve not added any files to it yet. I’ve not used windows for ages so have no idea if this is fast or slow!

Oh, and anything else to run with defender.. I seem to recall AVG was the goto anti virus or is defender a one stop shop

Ta all!

Cougar

You can’t run Defender and AVG together, they will fight (actually they won’t, as Defender will disable itself). AVG was the go-to several years ago but times have changed, the free version got worse with each iteration. Defender is a solid AV and nothing else, its biggest weakness is its biggest strength.

If you do want to double up, Malwarebytes will work, but you’d be better advised just not clicking on stupid shit.

24 hours sounds wrong to me. I’d reboot and restart it.

FuzzyWuzzy

Does sound too long, as Cougar says just reboot and kick it off again, it will cope just fine.
    All AV software has weaknesses and it varies month to month which is detecting stuff the best. Running anti-malware stuff alongside it is good in theory but in practice will probably hobble your laptop (we have Fireye on our company laptops and at times I have to disable it just to work as it can take 2GB RAM and max out the disk I/O).
    So, as above, don’t do dodgy stuff (inc. opening random links/attachments emailed to you) and you’ll mostly be OK with just Defender. Hopefully in the next year or so they’ll sort out micro-virtualisation based AV/anti-malware as that seems the way to go in the future to me. I’m not convinced the products about already are mature enough though.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘New laptop/windows 10’ is closed to new replies.