Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • New laptop Win 7 file AND program transfer help required
  • Matt24k
    Free Member

My Sony Vaio motherboard is dead. I have the SSD and it works fine in another older Acer Win 7 machine, in fact it thinks it’s an Acer Vaio and after a couple of tweaks it runs just like the Vaio.
    I bought a brand new HP laptop that is also windows 7 and put my old Vaio SSD in hoping to get the same result as I did on the Acer by tweaking a few drivers but it will not boot up as I think the HP bios is stopping me even getting up in Safe Mode.
    Any thoughts on how to migrate the old SSD to the new HP machine?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Did the new machine come with windows?
    Start fresh, install what you need and make an image.
    What do you need to transfer – much that has a non transferable license?

I normally make my images after installing main programs but nothing else.

Matt24k
    Free Member

Thanks for your input.
    New machine has Windows 7 but I only have OEM versions on both machines so no disc. Must programs don’t have a transferable licence.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

there are some ways to transfer licences but some parts may start objecting to hardware changes. What are you going to have lost of you have to re aquire stuff? (Your OEM windows is non transferable too)

Matt24k
    Free Member

I still have the option of running the Vaio SSD in the older Acer machine and I have back ups of every thing but I would like to use the new HP.
    I am about to try a program called Zinstall that claims to let me copy every thing from the Vaio SSD to the new HP. At a 110 quid it better work!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’d check it woks before spending £110….

What do you need to transfer?

Cougar

You can readily download a legitimate Windows 7 disc. Google “windows 7 digital river”.

Transplanting system disks between machines is a lottery. It may work if the hardware is similar enough but there’s every chance that it won’t. Or worse, “mostly” work but plague you with problems.

What programs do you need to install that “aren’t transferrable”?

Matt24k
    Free Member

Zinstall has lots of positive comments from users and various tech web sites.
    The main problem are programs like Minitab that Mrs/Dr 24K has access to and several other obscure programs that she managed to get whilst completing her Phd.

Matt24k
    Free Member

Just to wrap this up for future reference Zinstall was very expensive but worked like a dream. Mrs 24K is now a happy camper because her new laptop looks and behaves just like the old one.
    All user settings and files transferred along with the old programs via a very easy to use GUI. It took about 2 hours to complete with the old SSD plugged into a USB3 port on the new laptop. Very impressed with the product but still smarting from the price.
    Thanks for your assistance chaps.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘New laptop Win 7 file AND program transfer help required’ is closed to new replies.