Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • New Laptop – what's good?
  • razorrazoo

After a new laptop for home use, for the Mrs and kids mostly as I use my work Macbook. Will be used mostly for word processing, pictures, browsing etc. Don’t want to spend a fortune, but at the same time don’t want to buy something which will be a doorstop in a couple of years.

Any recommendations please?

Stoner
    Free Member

go budget chromebook c. £200.
    no virus risk, always up to date. Cloud storage so no lost homework files.

14″, £200 http://www.argos.co.uk/product/6736983

seosamh77
    Free Member

is a chrome book not just basically the chrome browser as the OS? bit limiting no?

cranberry
    Free Member

i7 Dell XPS 13 – since your price range is rather vague.

earl_brutus

2ndhand macbook air off ebay? paid £400 for mine and its like new!

Toasty

If it’s of any interest, I was planning on selling my 9434 XPS 13? i5 5200U, 8gb ram, ssd, 1080p. Runs very cool and the battery lasts for ages, so perfect for browsing on your lap.

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc-mac/laptops-portable-pcs/laptops-and-netbooks/dell-xps-13-1279013/review

Same as that one, bought November 15 as something to use when traveling around. Had a child shortly after and didn’t travel anywhere. Most recently it’s been used for running Zwift, which it does a good job of. I’ve already got a Macbook Pro 15 which I use for bigger jobs, so I don’t really need the little portable laptop option anymore.

Looking at ebay the older models are going for £400-600 or so. I’d part with it for about £400 posted if you were at all interested?

the-muffin-man

Buy a Chromebook and you can use it as a doorstop straight away – no need to wait two years! 😀

Bimbler
    Free Member

Check out Dell Outlet and don’t dismiss the business machines, My Dell Latitude 7something or other is absolutely brilliant

Stoner
    Free Member

bit limiting no

running two companies and their users entirely within google and chromeos would suggest otherwise.

Havent had a pc in the house for years. My grey hairs have gone!

razorrazoo

Thanks for the responses thus far.

Budget I’d like to be spending under £500, ideally less as will have to buy office (or I guess subscribe to 365)

A used Macbook Air is an option, but I’m wary about buying a laptop from ebay.

@Toasty – I’d be interested in pics to email in profile please.

Toasty

Will do, I’ll send some when I get home. They’re nice little laptops, smaller and lighter than the Chromebook mentioned above, full aluminium exterior, lots of carbon inside. Similar sorts of beasts to the Macbook Air but a bit more up to date, lighter, bigger battery, smaller screen bezel, bigger battery.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/dell-xps-13-vs-macbook-air/

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘New Laptop – what's good?’ is closed to new replies.