Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • New Laptop required
  • surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

As it says, I know little about these things so advice needed please:

4 yo Laptop requires new Graphics Card quoted £250 for repair – Dell Inspiron.

New one costs around £400 apparently. Used for:
    Home documents
    Browsing inc TV watching (BBCiPlayer/RedBull TV etc)
    Email
    Music

Not interested in games or heavy editing and it needs to be simple not looking to have something cutting edge or owt – think Ford Focus 1.8 Diesel not AMG Mercedes.

cheers

mikewsmith
    Free Member

the current inspiron 5000 series are decent
    http://www.dell.com/uk/p/inspiron-5000-laptops?~ck=bt
    just got my new 5000/17″
    nice build, solid decent screen etc.

Kahurangi

You should be able to buy a replacement graphics card and fit it yourself for under £100 surely?

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Thanks Jon, but I refer you to the opening line of my OP. Wouldn’t even know where to start.

cranberry
    Free Member

What size of screen do you want ?

unovolo
    Free Member

Dell Outlet store online.

12 Months warranty and as new,
    Have had 2 from them now and both have been faultless(Techinically the 1st one broke when my 3yr old spilt his drink all over it hence purchasing another from them recently)

jamesmio
    Free Member

Needed a stop-gap laptop when my main work one went pop, and picked up a refurb’d one of these off eBay for peanuts:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR11.TRC1.A0.H0.Xhp+elitebook+8440p.TRS0&_nkw=hp+elitebook+8440p&_sacat=0

It’s no looker (couldn’t care less) but so far I’ve been really impressed with it. This one cost about £250 ish, and in all honesty it does everything something 3 x the price would do.

chrisdw
    Free Member

3000RPM.

I have bought 2 separate refurbished Lenovo Thinkpads off of them now. The first was in slightly better condition, looks brand new. the second was a bit scuffed on the top of the lid, but it has a new keyboard and everything works as it should. i paid £250 for a 2.6ghz i5 cpu. 8gb ram, 1tb hard drive. its got intel HD3000 graphics. and a HD display. Lenovo T420. very pleased with it.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘New Laptop required’ is closed to new replies.