Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • New laptop help
  • evel_kneivel
    Free Member

Hi all,

My trusty sony vaio has finally died so I’m in need of a new laptop, got a budget of around £400. The best I’ve seen so far seems to be this lenovo…

http://m.dabs.com/products/lenovo-ideapad-g580-i5-3210m-6gb-750gb-dvdrw-15-6–w7hp-bronze-85VV.html?q=g580&src=16

I don’t really need it for playing games, just something that will last me a few years for all the general stuff. I’d really appreciate it if those in the know could offer their opinion and maybe even point me towards a better deal.

Cheers!

geoffj

I’ve just bought one of the i3 versions of the Lenovo for the kids to use, and I’m pleased with it. It seems pretty robust, it didn’t come loaded with loads of own brand software to remove, and its nippy enough for everything bar hd video processing.
    So far so good.

evel_kneivel
    Free Member

Cool, thanks for that. I’ve heard good things about Lenovo and the cashback makes this appear a bit of a bargain but I’m open to other suggestions…

samuri
    Free Member

I’ve used Lenovo’s for a long time. Rock solid, awesome machines. The most robust laptop I’ve ever found.

turtleheading
    Free Member

Check out dell outlet. I got myself a sweet laptop for aroun £500 reduced from over a grand!

stumpy01

Have you looked on Acer Direct? I got an i5 with loads of RAM & a 17″ screen for £550. Had it for over 6 months and well pleased with it, plenty quick enough, battery lasts ages & it runs cool.
    They had lots of choice & delivery was very prompt. I’d use them again.

AlexSimon

I thought this was a slightly better Lenovo, but it depends on how the AMD processor stacks up:
    http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/lenovo-z575-15-6-laptop-gun-metal-12377746-pdt.html?srcid=369&xtor=AL-11&cmpid=aff~HotUKDeals~

I think the z range is slightly higher than the g.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

I’m also looking for a laptop and have decided to get one with an Intel processer as the tech sites reckon Intel is better for running multiple applications at once.

evel_kneivel
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies. AlexSimon, I did see that Lenovo but the lack of USB 3.0 puts me off a bit and like flippinheckler says, the Intel processors are reported to be better for general day to day activities.

I’ve been put off Dell for life as I bought one before I got my current Vaio, it went back after a week! Will have a look at Acer Direct though.

Cougar

the lack of USB 3.0 puts me off a bit

What do you need USB3 for?

evel_kneivel
    Free Member

I suppose I’m just trying to future proof myself as much as possible by having USB 3.0…

Cougar

Fair enough. I wouldn’t particularly think it was a dealbreaker though. It’s been faffed about with for years and is only just now getting limited support. Nice to have, but I (personally) wouldn’t be rejecting an otherwise ideal machine because if it.

If down the line it becomes vital, you can always add it as an ExpressCard (though can be power issues with this, it’s an option).

evel_kneivel
    Free Member

Cougar, it sounds like you know what you are on about! Out of the Lenovo i posted in my OP and the one linked to by AlexSimon, which one would you go for? I think I’m fairly settled on getting a Lenovo as the write ups are good in regards to build quality.

Cougar

There’s not much in it, far as I can see. More memory in the latter but, 6Gb vs 8Gb, either’s probably plenty for day to day use.

As Alex says though, “it depends on how the AMD processor stacks up”. That’s an unknown quantity for me too, whereas I know the i5 is a workhorse. If I cared more, I’d probably google the AMD chip model and see if I could find some specs / comparisons.

Cougar

Also,

I like Lenovo, I don’t think you’ll go far wrong with either of them. They’ve always been honest, solid kit.

evel_kneivel
    Free Member

Thanks for your advice cougar, it’s very much appreciated. I went for the intel processor in the end.

happynicky
    Free Member

I like Lenovo,i am pleased with it.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Only 720p on a 15.6 screen?

Turn all the font/image/menu/icon sizes down to make it more workable – unless you are only watching movies…

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘New laptop help’ is closed to new replies.