Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • New laptop and video editing
  • sofaboy73
    Free Member

Need to get a new laptop for the usual surfing, streaming and the odd work excel spreadsheet, but I fancy giving some GoPro video editing a go. What sort of spec should I be looking for on the budget to lower mid-range end of the scale (is it even achievable at lower price points?) thanks

redthunder
    Free Member

Your brave… there are loads of threads on Video Editing Software here 😉

Anyway Windows Movie Maker does the job. Or the software that came with the gopro.

#videoeditingsoftware #video #editing #software #wmm

As for the laptop..best you can afford and 64bit.

sofaboy73
    Free Member

Less the software I’m bothered about at the moment, more the spec of laptop I need to be looking at to have the option. I’m a bit of a Luddite when it comes to computers. Thanks for the heads up though, I shall dig out my tin hat and expect incoming!

Matt24k
    Free Member

It depends on what sort of resolution you want to work in. If you want your whole workflow in 4k then you will need a top end machine with a 4k screen, as much RAM and as good a graphics card as you can get.
    If you just want to give editing a go there are plenty of free trial editing software choices and even a basic machine will work in lower resolution. The bundled software in operating systems is a good place to find out if your really want to loose hours of your life looking at the same images again and again 😉

Cougar

Do 4k laptops exist?

moose
    Free Member

Have a look on the GoPro site, there’s a few tools to download. There’s a quick-edit program (Quik) and then their more complex program (GoPro Studio).

GoPro Apps

Matt24k
    Free Member

Do 4k laptops exist?

Yes

Cougar

Gosh.

Matt24k
    Free Member

How about a 5K? It does mean getting a MacBook though.

jambalaya
    Free Member

If you are just starting out forget 4k and focus on “normal” HD. Editing is RAM and hungry and if you do get into it you’ll start using up the hardrive. Rough spec – i7 processor, RAM 8 min, ideally 16, drive 250gb min ideally 500 and ssd best. That’s a £1000 plus laptop. I am biased towards Macs but IMO your best bet is a good second hand Mac Book Pro with 8/16GB RAM for half that price. Or if you don’t need the portability a desktop will be cheaper although if you get into the GoPro you’ll fill it up on a weekend/hokiday trip and need to download to a laptop (say)

scotroutes

Do you actually need a 4k monitor to edit 4k video?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘New laptop and video editing’ is closed to new replies.