Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • New Kona Kitsone = Old Blur 4x?
  • acjim
    Free Member

I’ve been tossing around the idea of getting a new FS frame. 2 of my old faves were a Kona Coiler and a SC Blur 4X, now it looks like the new Kona Kitsune is an almost carbon copy (geo wise) of the Blur.

Anyone ridden one yet? I’m hoping it’s agile but stable from the relatively slack HA, just like the Blur was!

hora
    Free Member

Bing. Im in

daveh
    Free Member

Seen the Genesis Grapil? Transition Bandit, Blur TR, ASR5, Mega TR? All similar to that IMO.

freeridenick
    Free Member

Blur 4x was only 115mm travel

Banshee rampant 100mm
    Nukeproof rook 100mm

I have a rampant with coil sektors – its a little ripper…short back end, low, stiff, head angle about 67.5 with 140mm forks. shock is pushed tuned with makes it great.

hora
    Free Member

The Rook is 7.2lb?? Why so heavy

thepodge
    Free Member

daveh – Seen the Genesis Grapil? Transition Bandit, Blur TR, ASR5, Mega TR? All similar to that IMO.

Bike in looking like bike shocker!

Kitsune is 120mm, if the angles are right then I dont think the travel matters quite as much

7.2 isn’t that heavy is it? Your meta is listed at 7.27lbs

kudos100
    Free Member

I wanted something similar and ended up tweaking a giant trance x to get close the the geometry.

20mm longer fork and an offset bushing, gives a 68 deg head angle and a bb of just over 13″

It is pretty close to what I am after, but still not the holy grail.

acjim
    Free Member

The grapil looks good, I wonder how much it weighs? Being a tight wad I’ll need to wait until something turns up used so that will go in the search box

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Just buy a Blur 4X? I loved my old one…

_tom_
    Free Member

The Rook is 7.2lb?? Why so heavy

It’s a slopestyle frame, designed to take a bit more of a beating than your standard trailmince-lite frame.

acjim
    Free Member

I too loved my old Blur 4X, I didn’t love it’s continual need for new bearings and the horrible tiny linkages (those independent Ti dogbone bits) that needed maintenance.

I’d hope that more modern frames would stand up to more abuse in the bearings and/or are easier to maintain.

hora
    Free Member

I loved my old blur4x’s the VPP1 had a quirk though (anyone else?) – if you stood up and mashed the pedals the suspension didnt like it.

Then MK2 VPP came out.. I wonder if this was a known quirk hence the tweak(?)

That was my only critism.

honourablegeorge

acjim – Member
    I too loved my old Blur 4X, I didn’t love it’s continual need for new bearings and the horrible tiny linkages (those independent Ti dogbone bits) that needed maintenance.

Mine came with those – swapped them out for the solid link (SC made the solid link standard after a while too) and had no issues after that. I think a lot of people in the US got the parts free.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Mine had the solid link. The continual bearing/bushing changes was a bit of a chore… Never had a problem with pedal bob etc with it. Ran mine 1×9 though but do remember some bob in the granny ring when I was running it 2×9.

No idea if its any help but I went from the 4X to a new Five (as slack, little longer in the wheelbase and TT and a touch more travel). Its easily as good as the 4X was but without any of its negatives.

acjim
    Free Member

Old 4X’rs convention 🙂

Mine had weird pedal feedback in the granny ring, it was truly fantastic downhill though, took it to Verbier and rode out of my skin – nice memories!

A Five might be a goer, I’ve always thought of it as longer travel.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Old 4X’rs convention who took them to Verbier. Out there it was great… The trails and mid-30s heat did help though. I could have been riding a Halfords special and it’d still have been brilliant!

Try and get a ride on a Five. Like the 4X, they’re as good as the hype I’ve found. Glad I changed…

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘New Kona Kitsone = Old Blur 4x?’ is closed to new replies.