Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • New kit, breaks causing damage to car.
  • Rscott
    Free Member

Not strictly cycling related but bought some new, roof rack straps rated for up to 300kg.

Took them out the packaging and used them for the first time today, on turning a corner i noticed my roof load move, so i slowed down gently as i did this the load fell off the roof slid down the widow and bonnet causing sufficient damage.

on Second inspection of the strap the spring mechanism has popped out and failed alowing the strap to slide through.

the Strap is broken and will be getting returned but would it be unfair of me to be seeking compensation for damages due to it being the item at fault and not my Mere incompetence (which i did originally accept it may have been) luckily its only paint and nobody got hurt.

cloudnine
    Free Member

To see the funny side we need photos

sc-xc

What was the weight of the load? I’ve never had a car that can take more than 70ish kg on the roof…

(Not that this answers your question 😉 )

Rscott
    Free Member

The weight was 18kg, it was a kayak, been driving with loads on the roof for 9 years and never had an issue.

will upload pics for people to laugh at tomorrow, but my metallic blue now has some white stripes, and some metal stripes too.

jam-bo

You relied only on the cam/spring? I always tie off the straps tight so even if the cam fails they won’t slip.

Years ago I let a mate tie my kayak on. Halfway across Dartmoor braked for a corner and three boats shot off the roof and down the road at 40mph. I never let him tie boats on again.

scotroutes

+1

wanmankylung
    Free Member

+ the entire kayaking community – you.

Rscott
    Free Member

I usually do lock them off with 2 half hitch, but the straps were a little short which was unfortunatly also down the the packaging having the wrong label, but desperation called. i should just have used a rope and taken them straight back but hindsight is always a usefull tool.

Rscott
    Free Member

But My poor judgment wasn’t really the question, and i don’t think its just the kayaking community, and more the entire world of people using roof bars.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

I was just being a dick to piss you off. I would certainly be chasing the seller for damages.

Rscott
    Free Member

isit the seller or manufacturer though, the seller obviously will be responsible for the return but as of there, do i need to deal with them or the manufacturer.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Seller is the person you have a contract with. They’ll then get onto the manufacturer.

andyl
    Free Member

causing sufficient damage to do what? Or did you mean significant? (genuine Q as confused)

I would say you will have a hard time getting anything back. But worth a try.

Although as you say, you shouldnt have used them if you found them to be the wrong ones. Anything to suggest (relating to the mislabel) that they may have been returns or ex-display ones that may have been damaged prior to you buying them?

Rscott
    Free Member

Sorry I did mean significant, and not really they are store branded so a basic lable and load rate was all.

crankboy
    Free Member

I have forgotten the correct terminoligy but I would say the store are liable for your damage . They sold you an item you used it as designed and intended it failed in that use damage ocoured that flowed directly from that failure and was a sort that could be reasonably anticipated if the product failed in normal use.
    They would counter argue you should have secured the load better but if that is their point I would say the product should have instructions to that effect such as ” warning this product is unsuitable for securing loads additional steps must be taken to secure the straps. ”

matt_outandabout

Go after them IMO.

And I buy good quality straps, and tie them off.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Did the spring actualy break, or did you just not check it was engaged properly?

There’s 2 ratches, one in each half, if you’d tied a knot over it then even if one failed the other should hold it? So if you’d not tied a knot over it to stop it opening then could they say it was missuse?

jimoiseau
    Free Member

Have you thought about contacting your car insurance company? Not necessarily to make a claim, but they may be able to advise you in what to do. the best thing to do may be to claim from them, then let their legal team deal with securing reimbursement from the manufacturer. Your premium may go up a bit but would be a lot less hassle than chasing compensation on your own.

matt_outandabout

Second inspection of the strap the spring mechanism has popped out and failed

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Second inspection of the strap the spring mechanism has popped out and failed

Yes, but, did it actually fail, or did the OP just not check it? I can’t see how once it’s clicked into the ratchet wheel the spring could pop off?

And there’s 2 ratchets normally, one in the body that holds it in position, and one in the lever that rotates the cylinder, so even if one did somehow fail, the other should still hold it IF you tie a knot over it.

Unless somehow both pawls failed between when the OP (presumably) thoroughly checking it before setting off and the corner, then unless the manufacturer is feeling charitable they’ll just say it’s the OP’s fault for not checking it before setting off (still not sure until the OP shows us a pic how the pawl comes/came out once it’s under tension?) and that he should have tied a couple of half hitches over the body of the ratchet to stop it opening (and thus unwinding) even if the main pawl/ratchet somehow failed.

hammyuk
    Free Member

OP didn’t say they were Ratchet straps just

Not strictly cycling related but bought some new, roof rack straps rated for up to 300kg.

on Second inspection of the strap the spring mechanism has popped out and failed allowing the strap to slide through.

From that they are most likely just load straps with a spring pushing a cam onto the strap.
    In that case if the spring goes then they will release.

Clarification from the OP needed.
    Regardless though if new and anything failed – store liable as not fit for purpose.

Slogo
    Free Member

I bet there is something in the instructions about a tying them off as a fail safe. I doubt you will get anything from the company. i always tie a loop in the strap a foot after the clamp and put the end through and tie it off.

300kg limit is nothing. If you were driving at speed and braked hard you would easily snap a clamp.

Oh if you look online all the staps have

The strap should not be stretched over sharp edges or rough surfaces.
    Use several straps fasten a load.
    It is strictly forbidden stretch the straps using a device not recommended by the manufacturer.
    Do not use worn straps replace them.
    The straps must be knotted.
    Do not use for lifting weights.

Rscott
    Free Member

There were no instructions or paper work with straps except what was mentioned above the straps were simply camping strap, the spring that holds tension doesn’t look like it’s been installed properly as it sites at an angle, meaning it has popped through the hole between the cam and the outer casting.

MrNutt
    Free Member

how did you install it? did you use a rock?

LadyGresley
    Free Member

Sounds like a few folks should be using front and rear tie downs on their kayaks 😉
    But no, we don’t either 😳
    As for the OP, if the straps have failed, send ’em back to whoever you bought them from.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘New kit, breaks causing damage to car.’ is closed to new replies.