Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • New Kenda Nevegals – holes already in sidewall!
  • br
    Free Member

Bought a Nevegal 2.35 DTC Tomac from my LBS for my front wheel – to run tubeless with a Stans kit.

I mounted it on the wheel with plenty of soapy water, and span it on the compressor. Went up and seated great, but air was coming out?

On investigation it looked like staple-holes on the sidewall (one either side directly opposite each other). Took it back to swap, as I just assumed that it had been 'nipped' in the shop – chatting with the owner and we discovered that every single one he had in stock had the same problem (and these included those still in the box from the distributer).

Now I realise that they would have gone up with latex, as the holes were small, or fine with a tube. But no way am I mounting tyres that already had a defect – having ripped up 2 tyres (Bontrager TLR's) last week.

Anyone else seem the same thing – maybe dealers on your shelves – it looks like either part of the manufacturing or distribution process – thoughts?

ojom
    Free Member

Funnily enough we have a wee split on the sidewall on our demo Mojo SL… odd

br
    Free Member

Was it on both sides?

Looks like a mark on the outside, but from the inside 2 holes about 8/9mm apart – and on both sides in the same place.

trail_rat
    Free Member

sidewall protectiong is a tape applied to the outside and then as you say fixed with something like staples or 2 spots of heat. Seals no bother with latex as you say and lasts no problem. My kenda small block 8s lasted all last summer. do people seriously try and run these without latex …..and think itll work ?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Nevs I've used are damn porous with lots of micro holes the seal eventually. But nothing as systematic as that.

piha
    Free Member

Mmmmm, I had a couple of holes in the side wall of my Nev's recently.In fact I was sitting in the kitchen late one night reading quietly and all of a sudden I heard air hissing out of somewhere. Traced it back to the bike and the rear tyre had a hole in the side wall with air escaping, about a day and a half after I last rode it. I wouldn't of thought anything of it until I read this, anyway threw a load more sealant in and holes sorted.

Northwind

I've been running standard Nevegals for some time tubeless, they've been superb, no complaints at all. Bit of a sod to seal some of them the first time though. It does sound like it's the same thing as on my SWS Small Block, which leaked at first but sealed up nicely.

You could complain of course, but Kenda'll quite reasonably tell you it's not a tubeless tyre, doesn't have to be airtight and that they don't recommend it with sealant in any case.

br
    Free Member

Didn't need to complain, LBS credited me no problem.

Apparently Kenda originally had a problem with the sidewall protection staying in place – I wonder if the holes are in fact staples from the production process?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Lol . Probably . Nothing like a pedantic customer . Glad im out of that game

why are people still trying to do tubeless without sealant ?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Lol . Probably . Nothing like a pedantic customer . Glad im out of that game

why are people still trying to do tubeless without sealant ?

M6TTF
    Free Member

Nevegals, crap tyre life, I ran them with tubes and still wore out the sidewalls before the tread

br
    Free Member

i use sealant, but first i inflate just using soapy water to make sure it will seal (to a point) – having wasted latex in the past.

lbs doesn't have a problem, i buy plenty anyway.

And i don't think i'm been pedantic rejecting a tyre with sidewall 'damage', do you?

jobbyheid
    Free Member

I've seen a couple of relatively now ones go at the sidewall recently.. Not the sturdiest of tyres..

trail_rat
    Free Member

house husband – the tires he is trying to use are not tubeless. so maybe i should re phrase that – get some tubes in your tires !

damage is subjective -every kenda tire ive had past or present with the sidewall tape have these 4 holes …. posed no issue ran tubeless with sealant.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘New Kenda Nevegals – holes already in sidewall!’ is closed to new replies.