Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • New Jones design
  • jameso
    wwaswas

He’s got his ‘singlespeeder face’ dialled 😉 Even if he’s on a geared bike.

clubber
    Free Member

They’ve done the impossible and made a frame more fugly than the standard Jones 🙂

I’m sure it’ll send by the pail load (Pails are niche buckets)

jameso

Pails are niche buckets

: )

mattbibbings
    Free Member

I’d love to have the cash to try out one of Jeffs bikes. Regardless of the aesthetics, I have to applaud him for continuing to ask big bold questions about bicycle design. He is the closest thing to Alex Moulton that the MTB world has and that can only be a good thing.

wwaswas

closest thing to Alex Moulton that the MTB world has

Geoff Apps? http://clelandcycles.wordpress.com/about/

Building 27.5 & 29er mtb’s in 1980…

Apps read about the Ritchey mountain bike in the February 1980 BMX Plus and contacted with Gary Fisher and Charlie Kelly at the MountainBike Company in Fairfax, California. Apps told them about the off-road bicycles he had built and of large diameter 650Bx54 and 700Cx47 Nokia Hakkapeliitta snow tires that were made in Finland. In December 2006, Fisher said: “We got some tires from Geoff Apps really early on and we said ‘Holy Toledo!’” But poor supply meant the fledgling MTB industry stuck with the smaller wheels.[

mudrider
    Free Member

Cleland Dingbat 1988

A Geoff Apps Designed “Dingbat” trials bicycle circa 1988.

Complete with braced frame and forks just like the new Jones bike.

andypaul99
    Free Member

freaking ugly selection of ramdom tubes if i ever did see one, and thats coming from somebody that owns a trance 29er! 😉

RepackRider
    Free Member

2retro4u
    Marin County, Cali

Apps read about the Ritchey mountain bike in the February 1980 BMX Plus and contacted with Gary Fisher and Charlie Kelly at the MountainBike Company in Fairfax, California. Apps told them about the off-road bicycles he had built and of large diameter 650Bx54 and 700Cx47 Nokia Hakkapeliitta snow tires that were made in Finland. In December 2006, Fisher said: “We got some tires from Geoff Apps really early on and we said ‘Holy Toledo!’” But poor supply meant the fledgling MTB industry stuck with the smaller wheels

Gary and I were selling everything we could put together that looked like a bicycle. We were dependent on other manufacturers to supply wheels and tyres, and we worked with what we had, which was 26″. The bike industry now has thousands of experimenters and a wild variety of products, but in 1982 all anyone wanted to do was copy the Ritchey/MountainBikes design.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Not my cup of tea – chainstays are too long – I hope he makes a fully Knardy frame with a much shorter wheelbase.

Truss forks have been around since the Victorian era IIRC – Geoff Apps (or Jeff) didn’t invent them 😉

mudrider
    Free Member

futon river crossing – Member

“Truss forks have been around since the Victorian era IIRC – Geoff Apps (or Jeff) didn’t invent them”

Many US Cruiser bikes from the mid 1930’s onwards were made braced frames and forks. This was a design feature that was copied from motorbikes.

http://luxlow.com/tag/pre/page/2/

These “Cruiser” braced forks where also used on some of the original “Clunker” mountain bikes.

Davesport

Gary and I were selling everything we could put together that looked like a bicycle. We were dependent on other manufacturers to supply wheels and tyres, and we worked with what we had, which was 26″. The bike industry now has thousands of experimenters and a wild variety of products, but in 1982 all anyone wanted to do was copy the Ritchey/MountainBikes design.

Klunk 8)

coastkid
    Free Member

It looks like a SE Racing Quadangle BMX frame i used to own! a 1980s design 🙂

Their is a 29er cruiser available; SE Racing 29er cruiser

jameso

What’s more original about Jeff’s bikes is the geometry, type/use and his approach. There’s nothing 100% new in them structurally, well no more or less new than pretty much any other well designed bike. I think it’s good to see a variation on his current geometry, as good as that is.

Really like that dingbat, and the quadangle’s a classic )

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘New Jones design’ is closed to new replies.