Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • New job time
  • JCornford

I’m looking for a new job and have registered with various agencies and given my minimum requirement as my current salary, I went for an interview yesterday, it all went well, salary would be the same and all the people seemed nice, but when asking their hours of work I found out it’s more hours! It’s only and extra hour a day, which doesnt sound much but when you add that up over a year that almost 2 months more work based on what I currently do! Do you think this offers me room to negotiate, or am I being fussy?

iDave
    Free Member

How badly do you need the job and how likely are you to be offered another job before you start kacking your pants?

donsimon
    Free Member

Negotiate there asses off. Who do they think they are? It’s during these periods of recession that we get to see the true colours of employers, they’re simply trying to take advantage of the poor employees and unemployed, simply because there are so many and they can pick and choose who they want.
    Make a stand, my friend, make a stand.

vancoughcough
    Free Member

I think you should be a dog walker. There’s loads of dogs around in Reading. Who let the dogs oot!

totalshell

so its not the same cash reward then is it.. you need to be a bit more specific with your agency.. say no.. who trades one job for another paying less per hour if all other variables are the same..

morgs
    Free Member

at all times be professional. explain your concerns to your agent and let the negotiate on your behalf.

from an agents’ point of view, there is nothing worse than a candidate who thinks they are the gods’ gift and think they have been wronged for whatever reason (a la don simon’s implication).

Remember it is the employer making the offer, not the agent, so be nice to them! We may not have the best of professional reputations, but there are some good ones out there.

The company will be offering what they think you are worth, with room to progress money-wise. Just remember that any significant hike now, could be your next pay review early thus leaving nowhere to grow…….

chakaping
    Free Member

ask for same rate pro-rata then

no need to be a knob is there don simon?

donsimon
    Free Member

Different point of view = knob. 🙄

chakaping
    Free Member

good manners = free

donsimon
    Free Member

Ignorance= priceless.

good manners = free

And calling people a knob is the height of good manners in your household?
    You have as lot to learn little boy…

bigbloke
    Free Member

Is it because the potential employer does not pay for lunch breaks etc and your current one does thus making the actual working day longer? Or similar. Found this on a few occasions.

GJP
    Free Member

Question in my mind is what is the potentially new employer offering you that your current employer doesn’t? If you can’t answer this then why even consider moving at all?

For a salaried position I can’t see much room for negotiation based around what is one company’s standard contractual working hours versus another, the only lever being pay? And what are we talking about here a 35 hour contract versus a 40 hour contract? Both seem reasonable, within standard norms, although the trend does seem to be downwards.

Yes one is more attractive than the other on face value, but what is the true relationship between contracted and actual hours worked?

May well be a case of you want the job or you don’t? But as Morgs says let the Agent do his/her job and negotiate, but what parameters do you want them to negotiate on?

randomjeremy
    Free Member

Take the job and browse STW for an extra hour per day

totalshell

the trend seems downards.. not if your a pharmacist where mrs tts is fighting off imposition of a 46 hr week. and an hourly reduction and enforced un paid breaks, making her day longer

JCornford

I’ve just had a call back form the agency, they were very impressed and would like to attend a second interview, I mentioned to them that it was more hours, less holiday and the same pay but it appears if I got it I would go in at the maximum they are willing to offer for the position and I got the career development spiel, so I have got some serious thinking to do I guess.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘New job time’ is closed to new replies.