Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • New job, fancy a new bike. 100/120mm full sus.
  • whatnobeer
    Free Member

Got myself a new job and fancy a new bike as a reward. I’ve currently got a 160mm Norco fluid lt which is great on big mountains and fast, rocky stuff, but Id like something a little less weight which will be more fun on the less demanding stuff.

So, what would you all recommend? Budget of about £1500, new or 2nd hand. 100-120mm travel, full suspension.

Have looked at an st4, x-flow, camber and an anthem x already, anything else I really should consider?

dantsw13

For the best spec for your money, Canyon Nerve XC. If you can get over not trying before buying. They consistently win bike tests.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

As an Anthem owner, all I would say is that it rides much better than I could have expected a 100mm bike to ie it feels like it has much more travel. It climbs better than a hardtail and encourages you to go quicker every where.

Look to 2011 models for absolute bargains and better specs.

bradley
    Free Member

Something more fun on the less demanding stuff…hardtail, surely? Unless you’re version of demanding is the alps and less demanding is black run trail centres…A well specced, light hardtail would suit me down to the ground. I currently only own a £400 hardtail with 100mm forks, but I can’t ever see me getting a full sus as i’m constantly reading of how guys are getting bored of ‘point and go’ attitudes when on FS.

Just my opinion though ^^, canyons FS bikes around the 1500 mark seem good value for money :p

campfreddie
    Free Member

build you own… far more rewarding!

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

“build you own… far more rewarding!”

And expensive unless you buy 2nd hand.

ransos
    Free Member

On One have some terrific deals on Titus frames…carbon x for £700.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Built my own road bike, and yup, very rewarding, but also expensive and time consuming, not so much the much building but finding and speccing the parts!

Less demanding does indeed mean black trail centre stuff. I’ve got a hardtail as well, but im a sucker for having more bikes than I need. Its also nice to have spares than can be lent to family members and friends when needed.

z1ppy

Not a big brand over here (only heard of them due to reviews) but these Steven’s Fluents look good fun/reasonably spec’d/slackish geometry off-hand.
    TBH a 120mm fun bike is what I’d really like & this seemingly looks good to me off-hand,

dantsw13

The 2 Boardman FS bikes are well thought of too. FS Team is £1000, and FS Pro @£1500.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Those fluents and the Titus x definitely need extra looking at, as does the anthem. Rode an anthem last year in the snow but it wasn’t easy to get a good feel for it with all the snow and ice around.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Cannondale Rush

dantsw13

I had a Cannondale RZ 120 last year. I loved the bike, but Non-standard parts made it hard to upgrade/sell on. For example, it had a fox fork with a 1.5″ straight steerer, but qr dropouts. Surely any bike with a 1.5″ head tube should come with a 15/20mm front end??

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘New job, fancy a new bike. 100/120mm full sus.’ is closed to new replies.