• This topic has 8 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by ski.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • New job anxiety
  • sideshowdave
    Free Member

I’m leaving the place I’ve worked for 20 years on Friday. 20 years from coming out of my time, to them sponsoring me to do a degree, to becoming part of the ‘management team’
    So after 20 years in engineer I’m leaving it behind for the brave new world of Logisics

However confident I am in my own abilities and however good the new challenge will be for me, at this present moment I don’t mind admitting that I’m sh**ing myself a little bit.

So anyone else in their early 40’s make a career change, going from a job that you know inside out and can do with your eyes closed to a totally alien job which you will have to learn as you go?

weeksy

I’d be anxious too if i’d been reading some of the threads on here !!!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

So anyone else in their early 40’s make a career change, going from a job that you know inside out and can do with your eyes closed to a totally alien job which you will have to learn as you go?

Yep. Only mine is forced on me through redundancy, and I’m changing from building trade to cycling trade.
    You’ll be fine. It’s only a job, which isn’t that important in the grand scheme of things. 🙂

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Northwind

Nerves are just the opposite of complacency, absolutely normal to be nervous in your situation, it’s a big change. So don’t worry about that.

freddyg
    Free Member

Yep. I work for one of them there Consultancy companies. The sales guys go in and say yes, yes, yes – we can do that. The resourcing managers look at the role and do a search on our CVs – if there are a couple of words that match, we get parachuted in. Last post was 2.5 years, current post is 3 weeks in and counting. Trying to stay one google search ahead of your client is a stressful as f***. I want out.

EDIT: Good luck OP. I’m sure you’ll be fine and dandy 8)

scaled
    Free Member

Anxiety and excitement are too close to call 😀

footflaps

Trying to stay one google search ahead of your client is a stressful as f***.

How much do they charge for your time as a professional googler?

freddyg
    Free Member

Don’t ask…. I’m concerned you’ll get all shouty 😉

EDIT: Joking aside, we (me and my colleagues) really do try and, in most cases, succeed in adding value. My last client offered me a senior position with them when my work was finished. Very, very tempted but up-rooting the family and changing schools and MrsG’s job was not an option.

ski
    Free Member

Here to forced on me too, redundancy, I am going from a researchers job of 10 years to a grave digger/parks gardener.

No joke either, got my first interview next week and if I do get the job cannot wait to tell my old boss I will be thinking of him as I work 😉

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘New job anxiety’ is closed to new replies.