Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • new job ahoy!!! but how to tell my boss????
  • bigphilblackpool
    Free Member

Well the people rang and i start monday, dont really have to give a week notice but i could as its 5 days from now sat sun are work for me too, but heres the dooozy, my current boss has booked and paid for my ipaf course (scisot lift) on thurs, do i a go ahead and repay him or b decline and just do another job for him rather than going on the course, my current boss is a major dick thus y im leaving any ideas, also hes holding my week in hand wage??? Thoughts please.

Slogo
    Free Member

Leave on good terms. Give as much notice as you can.

alfabus
    Free Member

my current boss is a major dick

Curl one out on his desk. It is the only way to be sure.

atlaz
    Free Member

Be honest. He then has a choice about not sending you on a course if he wants to or will bargain. If you were dishonest and took the training and then left he has every right to be pissed.

crispo
    Free Member

I am in the position where I am waiting for my contract for a new job to come through.

Everyone has given me the advice to always leave on the best terms possible. You never know when you might come into dealings (or even looking for a job again) with your former employer so best not to burn any bridges!

I intend to hand my notice in once I get my new contract and offer up my full month notice (less a few days of holiday I still have banked)!

jon1973
    Free Member

my current boss is a major dick

In that case, write your resignation letter on your knob and wave it in his face.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Personally take the training , ring in sick for next week. You can always go back if the new job is crap 😉

bigphilblackpool
    Free Member

Im trying to do the best and leave on good terms but as i said he is a dick, ie my wife had to go in for surgery, i asked for a week off unpaid, his reply came, “cnt her parents look after her, why do u want to be there” and from that moment on i realised there are dregs of society left, he treats his staff poorly, shouting abuse etc so i started looking, i will tell him today and see what the outcome is, although we are contractors and his office is a van, so a nice jobbie on the dash would be noticable, i will also be telling him when we reach blackpool as hes just left ex staff on sites and drove off, as above a dick.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Dicks deserve to deal with the consequences of their behaviour

I would just not turn up on Monday and not answer your phone

bigphilblackpool
    Free Member

Id just like to cover my arse, like if new job dont work out, etc id still have an option, albeit a bad one but my bills would get paid, iv bin made redundant 4 times so having no money is not nice and would love to make him swallow his teeth, (come close 3 times) my family and bills are paramount, its s catch 22 would love to screw him and get my course but again the flip side, toughie :/

blurty

I was given some good advice a long time ago:- “always leave them laughing, if you can”

I.e. try to leave on as good terms as possible, it’s a small world, no need to p!ss people off gratuitously, you might be doing business with them at some point in the future.

bigphilblackpool
    Free Member

True but its hard when hes drove me to feel like kicking seven bells out of him, just condescending, arrogant nasty etc but like u say leave on a good note, also its in a similar line of work but hes a 1 man van with 6 self employd labourers, and the new firm is 100 strong contracts etc so dont think wed ever cross paths on jobs, but my new employer laughed at interview and said how come uve put up with him for so long?? Hes know to be s dick and a stinking attitude, think honesty is best here, but il still be telling him near my house lol

luke
    Free Member

As said try and leave on a good note, I left my old job in May and was out of work until earlier this month, I left the old job on good terms, which is a good job as the new company rent an office off the old one, they have also been contracted to do software work for us and a few other business related issues it seems a bit odd but then the company I work for now was created by old clients of my old company, a strange world in which i’m glad I didn’t make enemies.

glupton1976
    Free Member

All this always leaving on good terms is a nice ideal, but sometimes you just want to tell them to GTF and shove their job where there isnt any sunshine.

andyl
    Free Member

Just reminded me of this:

“there’s three kinds of people: dicks….”

bigphilblackpool
    Free Member

Lol indeed dicks **** asses brilliant!!!!

andyl
    Free Member

I resisted posting the video 😀

Just watch some clips of Team America and you will come up with a memorable way to resign I’m sure!

bigphilblackpool
    Free Member

“Mat damom” i might just say that in the stylee and just walk out and say nothing more lol

Northwind

Will you be asking for a reference from current boss in future?
    Has he been enough of a dick that you won’t feel like a dick for being a dick back?
    Is it the sort of industry where the fact that you were a dick gets to the new boss, and you start on day one with him knowing you’re a dick?

bigphilblackpool
    Free Member

No i think he was born a dick, we all work away and hes shagged a few birds away, but hes married with nippers, hes a dick because he can be, and no i wont be asking for a ref as i allready have a new job with the start date so theyve rang my refs allready, all 8 of them, hes just one of those people that are a “dick” and before the sly comments come bout telling his wife bowt the shagging away, i like revenge as much as the next guy, but im not a home wrecker or grass, on the other hand his wife is lovely and stunning so shes probs at it anyway lol

andyl
    Free Member

sleep with his wife, leave your resignation in their bed 😀

bigphilblackpool
    Free Member

Oh he owns the company anyway so he hasnt had to be a dick to get there, thats where he started, ie “born a dick” and other people who know him think the same, high staff turnover, the longest thats lasted is 2 years, im the 3rd with 8 months 3 days.

bigphilblackpool
    Free Member

What in the form of white liquid on his pillow ; ), well i hope karma just plays out and bites him back, HARD

mt
    Free Member

Just because your boss is a pillock you don’t need to be. Acting like him makes you no better and gives him reason to bear a grudge. Do what you really know is the right thing, even dickheads know when they have lost a good employee. In any job/industry a good reputation is worth a lot especially if you have to use it later on. Really good luck in your new job.

bigphilblackpool
    Free Member

Thats why in a post i said id like to leave on good terms, im not a horrible person but i love my wife and without her id b in a bad place, so for someone to stand in the way of me and my wife causes an issue, iv kept my calm like a grown up and just bit my lip, even my wife was surprised that i didnt lamp him, iv got the job i want and the thought of leaving is good enough tbh, it was the whole paying for my course and honesty thing, i dont wish anybody harm but my god hes come close!!!

hora
    Free Member

Leave on good terms. Otherwise if you don’t- two weeks into your new job your new employer may say ‘can we have a word about your recent jobs reference’…

Junkyard
    Free Member

Just because your boss is a pillock you don’t need to be. Acting like him makes you no better and gives him reason to bear a grudge.

Perhaps if you write a really nice letter he will have an epiphany and start treating everyone well

bigphilblackpool
    Free Member

Thats just it my new employers think hes a joke, plus all my referres are from older jobs who have all spoke highly of me, and my qualifications/experiance have landed me the job, but i will telk him at 4pm and il update

somafunk

I was recently in a similar position to yourself and for years i visualised telling my boss to stick her job etc…etc, but it’s not me or in my personality, it wouldn’t have been fair on the other staff as they would be left to pick up the slack and a wise person once said “never burn your bridges” so i gave them 3 weeks notice, worked it and on my last day they all baked me a mahoosive carrot cake and sang “for he’s a jolly good fellow” etc..etc as well as giving me a leaving card with nice messages inside it, and the 5 young girls (18-24) i worked with and sorta trained up (i was a chocolatier) were rather upset at me leaving so i was genuinely touched and rather glad i didn’t throw a childish “stick it up yer arse i’m out’a here” aspergers type outburst.

It’s not about your boss, it’s about all the other staff members you work with.

bigphilblackpool
    Free Member

Theyre all young lads, and a couple take after him because the way he treats other lads, on one job a commisioning sparky was working in an area, hed bin there all day, my boss turns up and he asks “how long u gunna b” sparky replies “about two hours m8 then you can get here sorry but i have to do this now as they need power back on” my boss replies “well **** off out of my way so i can get my job done and i can go home” and my bosses job wasnt as important as the sparkies, they think hes ace as people are scarred of him on sites and he bullies his way through, the lads are just labour and do his bidding, but i aint, im qualified and take pride in my work, but to him im a young lad he can piss about (im 26) the other lafs are 17-20.

mt
    Free Member

bigphilblackpool

Sorry if you have taken my comments the wrong way. As I think from your comments already you know what to do, I was trying to give you advice that backs you up. Over coming the urge to give some one a taste of there own behavior can be difficult but you have done it. Enjoy you moment of moral high ground, he’ll never be able to join you. Again hope your new job goes well.

somafunk excellent

sparkyrhino

leave on good terms.DON’T whatever you do punch and knock him out,it won’t do you any favours.I learnt the hard way.

somafunk

Sounds like you may have a valid point bigphil, a hard one to call but if he really is a dick like you say then a bit of verbal wouldn’t go amiss but then again you say it’s only a couple of lads who take after him, folk in the trades like that soon get a bad name for themselves and they’ll find that whilst on jobs with other tradesmen they may mysteriously find tools/equipment go missing or get held up on purpose. Good tradesmen tend to stick together and any splitters like your boss are soon knocked into touch pretty rapidly.

FuzzyWuzzy

I like Junkyard’s idea best…

bigphilblackpool
    Free Member

he gets all the work as he undercuts everyone, and takes old stuff in the deal refurbs then sells on so he allways gets the work in, tools do go missing and people do hold him up but he stamps his feet and gets his own way as he licks the mds arse of a company we sub to, but when tools go missing its us who get the shit for it, he once used one of my stabila levels (expensive) as a pry bar as he couldent be arsed to go to the van to get a prybar, bent my level and when i asked are you going to replace that he just laughed and said just buy a new one, i pay you enough. Woe anyone holding him up on the motorway, hel sit behind u up ur arse whit high beam on. As said earlier dick!!! Appriciate the good advice and most of you all say the same, so i will be being as nice as possible and just walk away safe in the knowledge he has to bully young lads to get a power trip, it is sad people can be like that but thats people i guess.

ransos
    Free Member

Get pissed, and leave an abusive message on his voicemail. Worked for me.

spawnofyorkshire

oh to tell my boss exactly what i think of him. He’s a typical bully and ruining what should be a fantastic career opportunity for me. I seem to be the only one in the office who stands up to him and tells him he’s wrong, even then the sod doesn’t listen

I’m keeping my gob shut and getting on with things whilst my mortgage application gets going then i’m looking elsewhere!

Good luck with the new job phil, sounds like the right move to get away from that tool

mt
    Free Member

karma.

I’ll cite Lance Armstrong as an example.

bigphilblackpool
    Free Member

Thanks guys im awaiting a pick up now and will tell him on way home, its bad when your job is ruined like that, how can young lads learn a trade from a idiot and a bully???

bigphilblackpool
    Free Member

Well he nearly crashed the van and begged me to stay, as next week there is a job that only i csn do due to my certs and tickets, however i must now wait 30 days for my week in hand, ****!!! Lol im free as tge wind blows !!@!!!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘new job ahoy!!! but how to tell my boss????’ is closed to new replies.