Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • New IT gear suggestions (no Apple content)
  • mikey74
    Free Member

So, suggestions for some personal IT equipment up to the value of £1,000.

I’m thinking a new laptop/Zenbook-type thing plus (if the budget allows) a personal NAS device for media storage.

Other suggestions welcome.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Microsoft Surface Pro 3 has been getting good writes up as a tablet and as a laptop replacement?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

What you going to use it for or do you just want to drop a grand on stuff – if so PP Gift over here and I’ll send over the next big thing

IA

1k won’t get a nice one though.

Won’t get a nice laptop either IMO. *dons flameproof suit*

1k will get a nice NAS.

What do you want the kit for?

Jamie
    Free Member

How about a Macbook Air…..wait for it….and run Windows on it?

Best hardware, and the software you like to use?

rocketman
    Free Member

no Apple content

🙁

isto
    Free Member

Unless you were doing the most memory intensive stuff a budget of £700 should get a decent laptop. However you will need to supply more information in order for someone to find the best laptop for your needs. NAS wise I would look to Synology. You will need to add to your budget the hard drives to add to the enclosure.

mikey74
    Free Member

I have another laptop I run AutoCAD on for private work so this will be for media streaming, playback and organisation, general internet stuff, watching films on, word processing, skyping overseas friends etc.

mikey74
    Free Member

Any experience of the Google Nexus 10?

A new tablet might be an option as well.

Milkie
    Free Member

1k will get a nice NAS.

Bloody right especially for home use!! Gold plated and everything!

I would get a HP Microserver (NAS Alternative) £100-£150.
    Laptop & Tablet

I would wait until Black Friday & Cyber Monday for deals. 😉

Friday 28th November & 1st December

mikey74
    Free Member

Yeah, I was thinking that Milmie 😆

molgrips
    Free Member

I was going to say Surface 3 as well. I’d love one 🙂

mikey74
    Free Member

Yeah, but if I go for the i7 version it puts me over the budget, which I have no control over.

mikey74
    Free Member

Oh, by the way: That is £1,000 excl. VAT.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

for media streaming, playback and organisation, general internet stuff, watching films on, word processing, skyping overseas friends etc.

Yeah, but if I go for the i7 version it puts me over the budget, which I have no control over.

And would be massive overkill for what you want to do.

br
    Free Member

Don’t be like most folk/companies I’ve worked with; document what you are actually trying to ‘solve’ before buying something.

mikey74
    Free Member

I’m not actually trying to solve anything per se. My company has given me a £1,000 + VAT “gift” to choose any IT gear I want, as a bonus for bringing in a good profit on a large project.

Now, my laptop I am typing this on is OK, and I use it for CAD when plugged into my monitor and keyboard. However, the keyboard and screen suck so I’m looking for something to replace it with. Also, my tablet is aging and there are no more updates for it, so that could be replaced as well.

In addition, I have also been considering getting a NAS drive to use as my music and media server, so this seems like a good opportunity.

At the moment, I am looking at:

– Lenovo Yoga 2 i5
    – Samsung Galaxy S 8.4
    – Seagate Central 3TB

These three things get me in around budget.

craigxxl
    Free Member

Yoga 2 are fantastic to use and build quality. Up until the 5th December you can reclaim the VAT through an offer. Problem is they are in short supply with the new Yoga 3 now released. The replacement whilst stunning is a bit of a step backward. Slower but more energy efficient processor and reduced battery capacity means it is not only slower but doesn’t last as long either.

IA

Slower but more energy efficient processor and reduced battery capacity means it is not only slower but doesn’t last as long either.

It is insanely thin though, makes a macbook air look obese…

A suggestion for some of the spend – a really nice pair of headphones? I know I appreciate good music whilst working..

mikey74
    Free Member

Thanks IA but I don’t really have any need for headphones. We can’t use them at work and flying is the only time I would get much use from them, and I only do that once a year (for which I have an adequate pair).

craigxxl
    Free Member

If Lenovo could have increased battery life or maintained it with the fast processor it would sell like hotcakes.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Got a seagate central 4Tb sat next to me now, it works and I don’t notice it which is exactly as it should be.

There is a huge choice of laptops out there depending if carrying it round or working from a desk is what you plan to do.

My current list (for me) would be Nexus 9 & nice 17″ laptop but I do use a lot of screen and I’m very mobile.

mikey74
    Free Member

Looked at the Nexus 9 but the lack of micro SD slot put me off.

I have a 15.5 laptop for use at home. The Lenovo, or something else, and the tablet would be the mobile devices.

dobo
    Free Member

regarding the zen book thing, i got an i7 asus s400c, with a massive reduction last year.
    keyboards a bit anoying but everything else works well, screens pants outdoors though, not that i ever use it outdoors

microserver is great for the money if you can bung it in a cuboard

thebunk

Just for some other suggestions – you can never have too many monitors and there are some sweet UHD IPS 27″ ones at OK prices now.

Or a big Synology 4 drive Intel NAS – no faff, run photos, TV timeshifting, CCTV, private cloud, etc etc etc from it.

Or (and this is stretching the definition of IT) a nice multiroom Sonos setup? 😆

mikey74
    Free Member

I rarely use my monitor as it is so I don’t need another one.

I think Sonos stuff will be stretching things a bit far, and probably overkill for a one bed flat.

br
    Free Member

I’m not actually trying to solve anything per se. My company has given me a £1,000 + VAT “gift” to choose any IT gear I want, as a bonus for bringing in a good profit on a large project.

I use to do this with my staff too, cheap way to reward and one where I didn’t have to get HR involved – only works for Geeks though.

It use to be hard work through getting Apple products through Procurement, but once they understood why, no problem 🙂

mikey74
    Free Member

It does make make sense BR. The reason for the no Apple thing is personal preference, rather than an imposed limitation.

IA

Well, I’m not sure if it helps you, but if I had a grand to spend on “frivolous” things it’d probably be an oculus rift dev kit 2 and a cheap surface pro 2….

brassneck

Buy a Mac and sell it on? Spend the cash on the STW Approved coke & hookers?

Or look at a Helix, though I think that’ll eat your budget.

mikey74
    Free Member

Lol Brass. I like your thinking but not the best value for money option as I’d lose money selling the Mac on.

The Helix is over budget I’m afraid.

mikey74
    Free Member

Anyone got an i5 surface pro? How is the keyboard?

mikey74
    Free Member

Hmmm looking at new laptop now. Anyone know where to buy Asus Zenbooks? Can’t find them.

mikey74
    Free Member

I was going to say Surface 3 as well. I’d love one

I had a look at one in PC World the other day and I’ve got to say I wouldn’t buy one. Yes, the display is superb but they are too expensive for what they are, especially as the keyboard cover is circa £100 extra.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘New IT gear suggestions (no Apple content)’ is closed to new replies.