Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • New (ish) vs Old – Carbon questions…
  • huggis
    Free Member

I currently have a 2006 Specialized SWorks Roubaix which I built up with full Ultegra (inc wheels) a few years back. I have the chance to buy (upgrade?) to a nearly new (100 miles) 2014 Scott CR1 Premium. Both bikes are similar in weight and geometry, Scott has di2 which is appealing. Two main questions I need help on are;
    does carbon have a specific lifespan (current bike 10 years old now)?
    have carbon frames moved on significantly in terms of performance? (2006 vs 2013)
    When new the CR1 was available cheaper than the Roubaix.

Scott

Specialized

andyl
    Free Member

does carbon have a specific lifespan (current bike 10 years old now)?

Not really, probably less so than some other materials tbh due to the low corrosion and fatigue. The big question is how it’s been treated, any crashes, clamps over tightened etc etc as damage can be less visible than with a metal frame.

have carbon frames moved on significantly in terms of performance? (2006 vs 2013)

There have been advances, a lot in manufacturing to reduce costs, reduce defects (and ones thrown away), better tailoring of strength and stiffness maybe and probably a lighter bike for the same stiffness. I don’t know about road bikes but with mountain bikes the biggest factor is updated geometry and component standards but this is probably less of an issue with road bikes.

Also remember it can take a couple of years for the top model bike technology to filter down to the later ones – this goes back to the development of new technology and manufacturing methods.

njee20
    Free Member

I’m still riding my 2005 Madone SL quite regularly (50 miles on it today), it’s not exploded. Looks a bit tatty, but otherwise ok. Comparatively light (1050g) frame too.

huggis
    Free Member

Also remember it can take a couple of years for the top model bike technology to filter down to the later ones – this goes back to the development of new technology and manufacturing methods.

Yeah Andyl – the ‘FACT 8R‘ frame which was state of the art then now seems to be Specialized’s entry level carbon bike.

njee20
    Free Member

Take that with a pinch of salt. Yes there’s trickle down. But that’s not to say an entry level Tarmac is the same as an 8R S-Works was a few years ago.

eshershore
    Free Member

@huggis

something to watch for with older carbon fibre frames is galvanic corrosion of any metallic “co-moulded” elements such as BB shell, head tube inserts, etc.

More recent high end frames have done away with metallic elements using carbon fibre sleeves to house press-fit bottom brackets

I’ve warrantied a good number of Roubaix frames over the years with this issue:

As long as your frame has not developed that issue, or received impact damage causing the laminate to be compromised, it should last many years.

From what I’ve read, the resin starts to lose its properties after some years, but there are old CF frames still around being ridden without issue

huggis
    Free Member

thanks esher shore…my frame is in good nick and had the BB replaced not long ago which came out as it should with no corrosion evident.

The main concern that has just came to my attention is that the new bike is di2 20 speed which I believe is discontinued and as such will be very expensive if I need to replace any faulty parts.

eshershore
    Free Member

Yes you want to avoid 10 speed di2, 11 speed is easy to source anywhere

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘New (ish) vs Old – Carbon questions…’ is closed to new replies.