Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • New iPhone iPad killer
  • mrsfry
    Free Member

January 1 1970
    Yep. By changing the date on your apple device and turning it off will stop the device turning back on. Apparently people have tested this and are now complaining they can no longer use the phone or pad.
    These people are idiots! Like poking your hand in a fire to test if you will get burnt.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/techandgadgets/iphone-users-warned-of-alarmingly-simple-bug-that-will-permanently-kill-their-phones-a3179436.html

Cougar

Interesting date; that’s the start of Unix Time. Unix and derivatives (Linux, OSX etc) measure time internally as the number of seconds passed since midnight 1/1/70.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Soooooo tempted to try this on my works phone.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

All it does it make it say “searching”. Whenever I pull a battery the date and time is reset. Never killed one, just connect to wifi and wait for D&T to update

mrsfry
    Free Member

Did you turn it off then on again?

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Yeah loads before I worked out why they said searching
    Worst case scenario just restore.. I feel permanently kill is a bit blown up

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Would appear it only affects the newer processors, I may have never turned one off after unplugging a board with the date reset

holst
    Free Member

Damn Apple haters, at least show some gratitude for saving the world from the Y2K bug.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRU2gwnh53g[/video]

drlex
    Free Member

FWIW, if anyone does this to your device, let the battery completely discharge, then* plug it in to charge up.

(*Timing of outside of GMT may require waiting until local time diffence to UTC has passed)

CountZero

“In order to test if an electric circuit is live, lick your finger and stick it into the socket”
    Pretty much the same level of idiocy.
    Still, you can’t legislate against stupidity…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘New iPhone iPad killer’ is closed to new replies.