Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • New internal doors what to finish them with?
  • bruneep

Getting new oak engineered doors fitted end of month wanting a satin or matt finish.

The guff says..

hardwood doors are ready for finishing with lacquer or stain. Waxes, polishes, and oils should not be used on our hardwood doors as they do not seal the door properly and may cause veneer delamination.

what products would you recommend?

ta

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Osmo – something from them. Polyx Oil probably most hardwearing – though they probably do interior finishes with less solids for furniture, doors etc.

EDIT: Hang on, I’ve just seen the warning…looks a bit bizarre…I’ve fitted loads of engineered oak doors and finished them with Hardwax Oil – first I’ve heard of a manufacturer saying not to use an oil. 😕

bearnecessities

Edit: Irrelevant.

bruneep

Doors are from Howdens

Osmo FAQ

says

Q. Are your products suitable for veneered wood?

Some timber manufacturers recommend not to use an oil or wax treatment for their veneered doors. This is because an oil/wax treatments are designed to absorb into the timber and must absorb through the veneer to ensure this. During this process there is a small risk of the veneer lifting. Osmo Door Oil is a recommended finish for interior doors and is suitable for veneered wood also. For exterior doors, we recommend Osmo UV-Protection Oil for a clear/natural finish or Osmo Natural Oil Woodstain for a wide selection of colours. The darker the colour, the higher the UV-protection. We do recommend a test application prior to use.

Osmo oil good stuff?

globalti
    Free Member

Water-based finishes can lift off the veneer.

Avoid Ronseal, it’s horrid, even the satin is shiny.

Satin is the way to go and for this you need three coats of Dulux Trade Polyurethane varnish in satin; rubbed down between coats then de-dusted. It’s a very forgiving product as dribbles shrink down to nothing and it dries to a nice waxy sheen with no brush marks.

I’ve done 13 internal doors, three coats each side therefore 78 sides and I’m really happy with it. Get it from Dulux Decorator Centres. Don’t forget to do the tops, bottoms, sides and rebates; the object is to prevent the doors from drying out and warping.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

OP, IME (around a decade or so of using it), anything from Osmo is good stuff. It won’t be the cheapest, but it’s easy to apply, doesn’t require much knocking back and I’ve never had a callback about a door I’ve finished with it. (I’ve always used Polyx Oil because I’ve normally finished a floor with it too…).

bruneep

I’ll get a 125ml test sample 1st @ £66 for 2.5l 😯 I’ll make sure its what she wants.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘New internal doors what to finish them with?’ is closed to new replies.