Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • New inners vs full cables.
  • andybrad

So is it worth replacing the inners without the outers?

shermer75
    Free Member

Yup 🙂

Waderider
    Free Member

Rarely.

Mainly if you are lazy and don’t like doing things properly.

jamj1974

Depends how often you change your inners…

andybrad

Hmm, basically I’ve got a set jag wire setup atm which is a year old. I’ve got an unused Clarke cable kit (black ptfe one) in my spares Tin so thought of doing the job lot. But wondered if there was a benefit to replacing the inners annually and the full every couple of years as it’s a bit fiddly

coatesy
    Free Member

As a mechanic, i’ve rarely got the time available to do half a job, faff around trying to get it working, and then go through the process of doing it properly as well, just in the hope of saving a few quids worth of outer. It’s very rare that i’d even consider it now, maybe on a cable that’s damaged a week or two after fitting, but after a year, not a chance.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Seen lots of bikes where it most definitely is, probably those used on roads more, where the inners are corroded, rather than there being contamination inside the outers.

This is more on 7/8/9 speed bikes tho, newer stuff may be more sensitive, thankfully I don’t use it or work as a mechanic any more.

Replacing the inner only is MUCH quicker, cheaper, and less wasteful.

scotroutes

It doesn’t have to be all-or-nothing. If you are running cables through cable stops (rather than uninterrupted) then replacing the final loop before the rear mech might be worthwhile.

jamj1974

I’d change all after 12 months.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

As a mechanic, i’ve rarely got the time available to do half a job, faff around trying to get it working, and then go through the process of doing it properly as well, just in the hope of saving a few quids worth of outer. It’s very rare that i’d even consider it now, maybe on a cable that’s damaged a week or two after fitting, but after a year, not a chance.

Exactly this. Unless the inner alone is obviously damaged in some way, if the shifting is off because of cables I replace both every time.

andybrad

So no shifting issues but it seems like I’ll be replacing it all.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

If you have no shifting issues than why replace any of it?
    To be honest, you probably would notice the difference if you do replace it though..!

nick1962
    Free Member

I’m still using the same set of full length Jagwire outers on my 2009 Specialized and it still shifts fine!

cynic-al
    Free Member

If you have no shifting issues than why replace any of it?

This, you are wasting your money.

To be honest, you probably would notice the difference if you do replace it though..!

Not this. If you have no issues, how will you notice a difference?

andybrad

Because I’ve got a new set of cables not doing anything and I’m well known for replacing things just to get me out of the house for an hour or so

BigDummy
    Free Member

If you have no issues, how will you notice a difference?

I always think my forks are working fine, until I get them serviced and remember what they’re meant to feel like 🙂

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘New inners vs full cables.’ is closed to new replies.