Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • New iMac i5 vs i7
  • damo2576
    Free Member

I just bought the i5, should I have got the i7?

I can’t figure out what the real life difference between the two might be and Intel branding confuses the **** out of me.

damo2576
    Free Member

Usage is the usual web, office and interested amateur level aperture/photoshop

nukeproofriding
    Free Member

I’m just deciding this myself. Think ill go with the i7 as the price difference isn’t huge.

Performance is better overall basically. Did you go with 2.7 or 2.9ghz? Thats the crucial thing, the i7 is just an optional extra really. It will cope with i5 perfectly if you just use it for web office and photoshop stuff.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mrblobby
    Free Member

Day to day I reckon you’d notice very little difference with stuff like office. Photoshop may be little more intensive but again it’s hardly likely you’ll notice a difference. If you want to spend extra cash then go for an SSD, that makes a really noticeable difference (even though rather overpriced if purchased with the Mac.)

Edit: I have an i5 mac mini and an i7 macbook pro. I hardly noticed any difference in performance between the two until I put an SSD in the macbook. Makes a huge difference.

damo2576
    Free Member

Think ill go with the i7 as the price difference isn’t huge.

Performance is better overall basically. Did you go with 2.7 or 2.9ghz?

Nearly £400 no? I went for the 2.9ghz i5 (£1499) – i7 would be £1858

Edit: I’m talking 27″ if that makes a diff

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘New iMac i5 vs i7’ is closed to new replies.