Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • New hydration pack ideas?
  • butterbean
    Free Member

My better half has finally killed off her Camelbak Mayhem in an impressive crash that has torn one of the shoulder straps clean off.

There is a lot of choice out there now, and although she never liked the Mayhem much, it was the least worst (if that’s possible) of various packs tried over the years.

She doesn’t need a massive suitcase on her back, but would like to be able to carry a full face via straps & swap it for a half shell for the odd races she does.

She’s tried a few Evoc packs, but doesn’t like them, Camelbak don’t seem to evolve, ever. What else is out there that’s any good? I’ve seen a few USWE packs, but they seem pretty pricey, plus i’m not sure how the whole harness thing would work with her fun bumps? She looked at Osprey but wasn;t overly impressed by them either

I should caveat that I will also occasionally use it, so no ladies only colour schemes.

What else is out there?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve a camelback volt LR, holds 3l of water and 13l of gubbins, there was a 2l version (charge LR?) with smaller load space as well but it wasn’t much lighter/smaller overall.

The bladders lower down and triangular so sits on your hips not back, and there’s an additional set of straps that cinch the pack tight as it empties to keep it stable (so you slacken them off, fill pack, put it on and tighten the waist, then any further adjustment you pull on the red loops on the wings to stabilize it). Also has a multitude of clips/clasps to hold a helmet on the back.

Works for me, but I don’t have fun bumps.

Bedds
    Free Member

I’ve got an Osprey Escape 25 which is utterly brilliant, seems quite adjustable and comes in different ‘lengths’ so may fit you both well?

timmys

Camelbak don’t seem to evolve, ever.

You need to check out the LR models as detailed above – they are much nicer than the standard bladder models IMHO.

Deveron53
    Free Member

I did a bit of research and in the end went for a Decathlon 720. They have a decent range of very well designed hydration packs. I particularly like the parachute harness style buckles with camera mount space. The 920 comes with a back protector but no bladder. The 720 comes with a foam ‘protector’ insert and a bladder.
    I have a huge 30 litre+ hydration-compatible pack from Edinburgh co-op/Vaude so I wanted a small, stable pack for a 1.5 litre bladder and ‘race’ equipment.

butterbean
    Free Member

Have looked at the suggested Camelbak ideas – don’t think that’s going to work very well with carrying a FF/Normal lid.

There doesn’t seem to be much about that isn’t the size of a expedition rucksack but can carry a FF or a half shell properly, Just one clip will have them swinging about all over the place.

Esme
    Free Member

Some suggestions on this thread, perhaps?

nickc

Acre Hauser

when compared to all the other hand-bags your missus can get these days, not even that expensive.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘New hydration pack ideas?’ is closed to new replies.