Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • New Hope brakes / hubs et al…
  • chives
    Free Member

Coverage of the new Hope kit in the ‘news’ section, but no mention of when any of it might be available, brakes in particular – anyone know?

Faster freehub pick up’s a good move IMO. I’ve been running my pro 2 evo’s as 48 point pick up (shortened two of the pawls by about 2mm) for the last 500 or so miles, love the almost instant engagement.

andysmiff1
    Free Member

Faster freehub pick up’s a good move IMO. I’ve been running my pro 2 evo’s as 48 point pick up (shortened two of the pawls by about 2mm) for the last 500 or so miles, love the almost instant engagement.

Intrigued – any pics? How did you do it?

chives
    Free Member

I drew the original set up on cad (ie measured what I’d got in front of me), and figured if I ground a couple of mil off the end at about the same angle I’d get a two pawl 48 point engagement. It’s not exactly 7.5
    degree engagement, as the pawls pivot in their original locations, but it’s pretty close. I marked the end of the pawls with a sharpie, held them with pliers and shortened them on the bench grinder by eye, offering the second alongside the first for comparison. Measuring them with verniers later, they were within .01mm of each other, so I figured that’d do! Works like a charm. Didn’t take any pics at the time, but I’ll drop the wheel out in a bit and you can compare ordinary & shortened pawls. Clearly this would invalidate any warranty / you may die in a blazing ball of fire / attempt at your own risk etc etc..

Northwind

I put a faster engaging ring in one of my DT240s, can I tell the difference? Not really! YMMV of course…

chives
    Free Member

Fairplay Northwind – try riding a Deore hub for a while, then go back to your 240’s and tell me which you prefer and why..! 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

an offer nobody will take up 🙂

As I was sat back pedalling in the shop today I getting some bike fit/setup sorted I did reckon the hope could do with a bit of a quicker engagement. Then rode it and completely forgot.

andysmiff1
    Free Member

Cheers – look forward to the pics.

I love a bit of bike-tinkering me…….

Northwind

I have a mountain exage in one of the bikes, I think it’s got about 10 points of engagement 🙂 Honestly I reckon there’s a difference in feel, but you just learn how the hub works and ride with it and once you do that it’s all much of a muchness.

chives
    Free Member

Here ’tis.

[/url]
    20130831_140935 [/img]

And the pawls overlaid for comparison.

[/url]
    20130831_141143 [/img]

I cleaned up the ground finish on a diamond sharpening plate (normally use it to sharpen my woodworking kit).

Northwind

That is clever, top marks!

chives
    Free Member

Now if I could just come up with an easy way to stop (even XT) cassettes chewing into the alloy freehub body I’d really be on to something! It took me ages to get the **** thing off!

andysmiff1
    Free Member

Nice one – cheers!

Pops in to garage to check looks for spare pawls in spares box……….

Think I’ll give it a whirl – after all, it’s completely reversible if its not working!

chives
    Free Member

Anyway – back on-topic – does anyone know when the new brakes are out?? 😀

rockhopperbike

chives – Member
    Now if I could just come up with an easy way to stop (even XT) cassettes chewing into the alloy freehub body I’d really be on to something! It took me ages to get the **** thing off!

POSTED 35 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

what about some shim steel slid into the gaps (maybe shaped in an L profile)- hardest part would be forming the really tight and small bend at the corner of the L?!

sugdenr
    Free Member

Novatech seem to have added what looks like a steel shaft key, mill one of the teeth and fit the key, seems like only need the one to stop the biting

chives
    Free Member

Yes, great if you have access to a milling machine etc! I might try bonding the smaller ‘loose’ cogs/spacers together with cyano before fitting next time (slim chance but nowt to lose eh?).

sparkerfix

chives – Member
    POSTED 35 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

Same here. Went and bought a steel freehub in the end.

Northwind

FWIW, when mine got bad, I filed it back into “round” then glommed some chemical metal into the bitemarks. The jbstik seems to be more durable than the original alu.

davewalsh
    Free Member

I’ve had a pro 2 evo freehub split along it’s length starting at the pawls, and that’s with 4 pawls sharing the load. IMO shortening 2 pawls and only using 2 at a time to transmit the load won’t do any favours for their long term reliability.

chives
    Free Member

Define ‘long term’ ? I’d agree with you, I’m sceptical – but I’m 500 odd miles into it, and no signs of any wear (untoward or otherwise) yet. I’d be the first to point out that 500 miles is hardly long term in the great scheme of things (hence the reason I’d not fessed up to these mods before – rather have put more miles on it first), but I’m not ‘kind’ to the thing, and it’s been fine thus far. TBH, I’m surprised that this isn’t a commonplace tweak.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

How does having 2 pawls shorter make a difference?

Rorschach
    Free Member

The ss/trials hubs uses 2 pairs of offset pawls but utilizes a steel freehub body.Mine has been o’k for the last 6 years.

akak
    Free Member

How does having 2 pawls shorter make a difference?

I thought it was just me, how is it different to just removing them?

chives
    Free Member

Rob, instead of 4 pawls engaging every 15 degrees, (24 point engagement) if you shorten two of them they drop into the ratchet c. every 7.5 degrees (it’s not quite that for physical reasons but) you get 48 point engagement AKA faster pick up.

AKAK – if you take two pawls out, you still only get 24 point engagement, just with half as many pawls as you had previously.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

nope still clueless

akak
    Free Member

Oh I get it now thanks – they “flick out” faster due to being shorter, so when the long pawls are trailing in the middle of the ramp they will already engage. Clever.

Rorschach
    Free Member

chives
    Free Member

Rob, the pawls drop into the ratchet. All four of the pawls drop in simultaneously. There are 24 teeth in the ratchet, so 360 degrees divided by 24 means that each ‘click’ of the ratchet equates to 15 degrees of rotation (of the cranks lets say). Not bad, by shimano standards, but not great.

So, if you shorten two of the pawls in the freehub, they drop into the ratchet before the other (original length) pawls do. About twice as soon as the original length pawls. So you get 48 points of engagement or roughly every 7.5 degrees of crank rotation.

Hopefully that clears things up. 🙂

rob-jackson
    Free Member

see now cheers

Rorschach
    Free Member

I wonder if the drive rings will be retro fittable?

toppers3933
    Free Member

But when are the new brakes out?

chives
    Free Member

Nice graphic Rorschach! Glad that’s cleared up.

Toppers – thank you !!! Yes WHEN…??

Rorschach
    Free Member

Mad google skillz innit bruv…..

chives
    Free Member

Retro-fittable – can’t imagine that’d go down well with their sales dept. (if there was any way of extracting the original drive ring in the first place..).

Rorschach
    Free Member

It is possible with the originals….I’ve had hope replace worn ones.

carlos
    Free Member

So why don’t Hope offer this as a standard then?

toons
    Free Member

40t and its a new hub shell, so no retro fit 🙁

Macavity
    Free Member

http://www.hopetech.com/page.aspx?itemID=SPG420

It is possible that Hope do not read Singletrack News.

BiscuitPowered
    Free Member

40 points, 4 points better than a Bulb then!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘New Hope brakes / hubs et al…’ is closed to new replies.