Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • New Hope brakes arrived…a couple of noob questions
  • Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

I've just had some f&r Tech X2 delivered and both packs have brake fluid spattered on the inside…is this usual, or should I be concerned?

Also, the master cylinder cover isn't the spiffy black & silver Union Jack that you see here (and in just about every photo on t'web!)…

…but a boring one like this…

What's the scoop here…does it signify a different production run, or is the Union Jack some sort of custom option?

Cheers,

foxyrider
    Free Member

Dunno on the second but I would be a little concerned about the brake fluid – Clean and check braking power – they should really arrive ready to use so I'd be a bit miffed if I had to bleed then if you paid full retial price? Unless you have to trim the cables whilst fitting?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

My guess would be the fluid is a little excess fluid that was on top of the diaphragm in the master cylinder.

Unless it has contaminated the pads it will do no harm.

onceinalifetime
    Free Member

Well tbh, I assumed that the union jack one was an upgrade (if you can call it that).

I've the tech top cap one and couldn't give a wotsit about the union jack one. 🙄

As for the brake fluid – check the hoses have been fitted correctly and that more importantly there's none on the pads.

Let me guess, you got them from ''merlincycles''?

foxyrider
    Free Member

When I got mine 2 years ago (M4's) I got the union jack as std – didn't know they even did another style until now 😉

Perhaps the Tech version is OEM and the full retail is the union jack?

onceinalifetime
    Free Member

Hmmm interesting foxyrider, maybe they are short supply of union jacks in barnoldswick.

Would be useful to get confirmation on whether or not tech top caps are on ''oem'' brakes?

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member
    My guess would be the fluid is a little excess fluid that was on top of the diaphragm in the master cylinder.

Unless it has contaminated the pads it will do no harm.
    Hmmm…the caliper is in the same pack so there's a potential for contaminatiomn there? The fluid is just like a fine spray on the inside of the pack, so if any has got on the pads it will be minimal. Is that a big no-no, or is it just gonna wear off after a bit of use?

onceinalifetime – Member
    Well tbh, I assumed that the union jack one was an upgrade (if you can call it that).

I've the tech top cap one and couldn't give a wotsit about the union jack one.
    Are you insane…the braking performance will be far superior with a Union Jack on the cover.

To be fair, I usually recoil at nationalistic flag-waving…but this time around I just happen to dig the monochrome flag.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Found it – american or non-uk market?

http://backyardgardener.com/Pet/Sports_Outdoors/Bicycles/Bike/Mountain_Bike_Brakes/Hope_Tech_X2_Brake.html

BTW if they are not boxed in hope box etc then they almost certainly OEM 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

Union "flag" thanks.

uplink
    Free Member

Found it – american or non-uk market?

If that's the case, maybe the retailer had to swap the levers around, splilling fluid in the process?

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

Odd…they're from Royles Cycles, so not too far down the road from Hope!

foxyrider
    Free Member

If its from the Euro market then they may not need swapping but yes if its US perhaps they are? Perhaps Hope produce different topcaps for outside the UK or non-UK based bike companies? Just a guess?

Keep finding those Tech top caps on US websites?

http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=34132

Onzadog
    Free Member

Cynic-al, thank you. Someone had to say it.

As for swapping hoses, is the tech lever not reversible?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Glad to be of service.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Yes they are flip-flop levers and can be mounted either way round – good point onza 🙂 duh 😳

singlespeedstu

The brake fluid you found on the levers is nothing to worry about.
    I had the same thing on mine.
    I think there was even a note in the box saying that it's due to part of the assembly process.

Driller
    Free Member

If you look inside the box there's usually a sticker telling you that it's normal to find some brake fluid on the inside of the plastic bag and you shouldn't worry about it. Mine had, it didn't cause a problem and hadn't contaminate the pads.

It's not a problem, we're talking a few drops rather than swimming in fluid.

The caps on all my Tech levers look like that, the ones that came on my GF's Five had the flag. I think they still work the same though 😉

firestarter
    Free Member

As above mine had fluid in the bag but a sticker in the box explaining it. Just got mine from merlin properly boxed with instructions so presume uk spec but with tech cover rather than union jack. Can't say I noticed til you pointed it out, its gonna bug me now lol

foxyrider
    Free Member

Maybe just new style then? IIRC my levers did not come "with oil in the bag" so I stand corrected – perhaps this is a new thing 🙂

[retreats to rub his precious – golumn, golumn]

alanf
    Free Member

Are the "tech" covers not just the latest version? i.e. 2010/11 or whatever they are now version whereas the union flag version was on the original 2008/09 brakes?

JonEdwards
    Free Member

2010 levers had the "boring" cap, 2009 ones had the Union Jack.

Sadly, the prescence of the Union Jack would be enough to put off plenty of Sceptics (and other nationalitities) from buying them. (came across this oin mtbr somewhere)

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Are the "tech" covers not just the latest version? i.e. 2010/11 or whatever they are now version whereas the union flag version was on the original 2008/09 brakes?

That. (Most) Americans are racists who don't like anything other than their star-fangled do-what, so Hope went for something less unpatriotic for them. At least that's how I understand it (in a sarcastic kind of way).

si-wilson
    Free Member

All the Hope brakes i have had for the last few weeks are without the union jack.

firestarter
    Free Member

Shame I like it . Great brakes tho. Dead easy to bleed to which I Was glad about when I shortened tho hoses and fired fluid across the room by mistake. The second attempt on the rear tho I lost no fluid and didn't even need to rebleed. Shame the post man bent my front rotor ramming it in the letter box 🙁 can't have it all lol

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

So…a bit of oil in the bag is a nothing to worry about and the Tech caps are a new design. Thanks all, your collective wisdom is much appreciated…you lovely lovely people!

Conformation of the above from Hope, too:

Sent: 16 September 2010 12:41
    Subject: RE: Tech X2 query

Hi, the brake fluid will have come out of the breather hole on the reservoir as when being built a small amount of fluid can be left in there. It is nothing to worry about. The design on the lid was changed around Christmas time and the lid slightly improved also. Hope that helps.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Got my X2's about 4 weeks back. Not OEM, and Tech top, not Union Jack. Until I saw this thread I thought it was because I ordered red top caps, along with red levers and piston caps – love a bit of bling

bigrich

Can someone tell me which bikes have hope brakes as OEM?

I bought a rear a year ago and a front 6 months later. Got one of each caps.

firestarter
    Free Member

Orange bikes do not sure of anyone else

foxyrider
    Free Member

oops

bigrich

so do hope make two types of brake then? one for orange, the rest for everybody else?

woofersco
    Free Member

Mine came from Merlin the other day, non Union flag and a few drops of fluid in the bag….all good though!

Three_Fish
    Free Member

so do hope make two types of brake then?

No, they just put different MC caps on. All the brakes are assembled by hand, so it's not difficult to just run a few dozen off with MC caps that have a different graphic on them.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘New Hope brakes arrived…a couple of noob questions’ is closed to new replies.