Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • new helmet time
  • hainman
    Free Member

so its new helmet time and swaying between the Giro Feature and the Urge Enduro-matic….
    Anyone know how the Urge sits as i know a few with the Giro,does the Urge give good coverage at the back of the head better than the Hex??

Thanks

eyerideit
    Free Member

Urge is more piss=pot style so the whole head is covered.

Think of it as a full facer without the chin guard.

MartynS

Long time giro user here.. Had several Zen’s…

Got an Urge AM.. Just brilliant. Worth a look

prawny

I have a feature, it was lots cheaper than the urge. I’ve got no experience with the Urge, sorry

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

I got a spesh tactic 2 recently. Had many helmets over the years. By far the most comfortable, and breathable one I’ve ever had. £55. Worth considering.

hainman
    Free Member

cheers guys,i like the look of the Urge,the Feature looks good too,

@Scott_mc i had a tactic before,hated the way i perched on my head,the new one is the same,i tried on yesterday,they look smart,just dont sit right

mangatank
    Free Member

Troy Leed A1. Great helmet, and it makes even me look good.

Troy Lee A1

vinnyeh

Cycle surgery selling the poc trabec for £70 at the moment, seems to get a lot of good reviews.

I’m using the enduro matic at the moment, fits my head well, ventilation a not been too bad over the summer, soaks up the sweat well, but looks terrible. Especially since its the Kandy patterned jobby.

mangatank
    Free Member

The POC certainly is safe, but it looks like something health and safety would force you to use. I ended up hating putting the enormous thing on. Part of the issue is how high it sits on the head. It’s a very high helmet. And wide too!

A lot of people have them (I see them all the time), and I’m sure they’d all say ‘chose safety over looks any day’, and they’d be right…about any other helmet, but in the POC case, the Mothercare Aesthetic is not something I could buy into long term.

wingnuts

Have been a Giro user for years. Normally Atmos. However I had to get another when I forgot to pack one on a trip. I bought an Endura Snype. Much more of what I think you’re after and I’m impressed with it. Good fit, good looks, and good value.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Probably worth trying a few on first. I found the feature didn’t fit my head, despite Giro generally being a good fit for me. Plus it made me look like a Lego head.

The TLD A1 is horrific. I don’t understand how after the Daytona, D2 & D3 they managed to create something that looks THAT awful.

As soon as the IXS Trail RS is available, that’s what I’m going for. Tried one on & it fits well & it doesn’t have the special look of the POC or Bell Super.

bullandbladder
    Free Member

I found the Feature waaaaay too hot. I got a Bell Super and its luvverly.

dsb181
    Free Member

I crashed recently and hit my head hard.
    I wore a 661 Recon helmet and it took the impact brilliantly, compared to others it’s wide on the sides but this was really lucky for me.

Not sure what others think about the helmet but I’ll get another for sure once bike and body is mended.

Northwind

Feature seems like a great helmet, wish it fitted 🙁

Now swithering over getting a purple POC. Nice and understated, turn my entire riding life into a knob gag.

bigtimebones
    Free Member

I tried an Urge but I have a massive head and even the XL wouldnt fit so try before your buy if you have a large cranium.

I ended up with a Fox Striker as the Flux it replaced was a pretty good helmet and the Striker was on offer at my LBS

Northwind

I really like my Striker… Coverage isn’t quite as good as some but it weighs nowt and really stays in place well. Pads wore a bit fast but Fox replaced them for free (sent 2 sets actually, in different colours, nice!). But the retention stuff’s getting a bit tired now, I suppose it’s lasted a decent lifespan but it could have been better.

Urge have unleashed the fury though- I’ve got a Down-o-matic medium, fits like a headglove. Tried an Enduro-matic in s/m, far too small, m/l far too big. Grr.

rocketman
    Free Member

swaying between the Giro Feature and the Urge Enduro-matic

Wildly different helmets even though they may look similar. The Urge fits like a skate helmet there’s no retention system only a couple of different size pads. The Feature has a conventional retention system with a huge range of adjustment but take care and make sure the helmet fits rather than the retention system. Some plastic straps won’t save you – your head needs to be in maximum contact with the shell.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

@hainman – that is the problem I’ve had with some giros and found the spesh much better. I probably have the same shaped head as the spesh designer. 😀

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

I crashed recently and hit my head hard.
    I wore a 661 Recon helmet and it took the impact brilliantly, compared to others it’s wide on the sides but this was really lucky for me.

Not sure what others think about the helmet but I’ll get another for sure once bike and body is mended.

I crashed recently in one. It also took the impact well. The complete lack of any crash replacement policy deterred me from buying another.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Why do people get grumpy about crash replacement on helmets? They are designed to brake if you land on your head. That is why we buy them. If you broke your wheels smashing into the backside of a jump you wouldn’t expect a cheap replacement because you got it wrong.

It’s like expecting a car manufacturer to replace the crumple zone and air bags for free after a crash.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

It’s called “customer retention” . A bit of discount for repeat business.

Many manufacturers do offer it, so why not?

Is that such an alien concept?

And its nothing for free, just a little less profit.

keefmac

i bought a giro feature a few weeks ago from cyclesurgery on the net. only 40 quid but can be very warm, its very much protection over ventilation. that said its very comfy and light.

hainman
    Free Member

Unfortunately i dont have a great selection of places around me to try helmets on,Evans only do Spesh ones,Dales are limited to,that leaves Halfords…
    I do like the look of the IXS one,if truth be told they all look the same.so with that in mind,might be a case of order one,try it on,if it fits great,if not return for refund and try again.

iain1775
    Free Member

Catlike Leaf

gravity-slave
    Free Member

I have a bit of a lid fetish at the moment. The only answer is to try them on, fit is key, as I keep finding out:

The Feature looks great but I’m right between shell sizes and the fit of the larger one is awful on me so no go.

The Urge Enduromatic is the comfiest lid I’ve ever worn, fits me perfectly but is not very adjustable so definitely need to try on. Marmite looks and is pretty warm so I mostly keep it for night rides and winter now.

Catlike Leaf is more XC than enduro but a light, sits a bit higher and not as deep at the back, but very breathable and a very comfy. Retention system good and pads to fine tune. My ‘hot summer days’ lid!

I’ve also got a ONeal Orbiter which is worth a look – the fidlock is brilliant and the lid good but for some reason the fit felt great for a couple of rides but now I just can’t get it comfy. They seem to size up big and I just can’t get it snug.

Bell Super is my current pick. Deep coverage, very well made, feels real quality compared to all the above, good vents for the protection it offers and a few nice features (GoPro mount works with my lights too).

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘new helmet time’ is closed to new replies.