Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • New helmet suggestions/what helmets do you have?
  • gnusmas

My Fox Striker has kindly been refunded under warranty by CRC as they don’t have any stocks of the 2014 model left. I am now looking for a new helmet to replace it. Any suggestions? Have you come across any good deals? Ideally not more than £60ish.

What helmet(s) do you use and would you recommend it/them?

Thanks

stumpy01

Giro Savant for the road, which I love. Got it for around half price (I think It was £35 down from £60) and it’s the most comfortable helmet I’ve owned.

My MTB helmet is a Uvex Quatro Pro, which is nice but I think it’s above your £60 limit

I almost bought a Catlike one after trying it on in Halfords; very comfortable.

kimbers

bell stoker 20 quid at halfords is a very nice lid

nuke

Catlike Leaf…comfort, light and with decent coverage: I’m very impressed and can be had for less that £60

coogan
    Free Member

iXS Trail. Comfy, looks good and I like it.

stinkingdylan
    Free Member

I’m also looking for a new lid in the same price park. Currently down to;
    Giro hex or Bontrager Rally

Love the look of the IXS Trail RS, but can’t get it for a decent price. Would go for it if it was with evans cycles (have £50 of vouchers from tesco club card exchange).

drover
    Free Member

Picked up one of the Bell Stoker helmets which are on offer in halfords at the moment – very impressed so far. Old Helmet was a Met Kaos UL, which is another nice lid.

dereknightrider
    Free Member

Cheap Kali lids going on Here

gnusmas

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I saw the post about the Bell Stoker in Halfords but none in my local store and haven’t got a car so can’t go much further to get one 🙁

The £60 is based on looking for last years models online, a little bit more isn’t going to break the bank. Just looking for the best deal for the money and real life experience of wearing one. Most reviews seem to go from one end of the spectrum to the other.

chakaping
    Free Member

I got one of these for my latest helmet, very impressed with it – but of course CRC do free returns if it doesn’t fit.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/urge-all-mountain-helmet-2014/rp-prod109540

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

Troy Lee A1 is without a doubt the best helmet I’ve owned so far.

Extremely comfortable.

rhid

I 2nd the Urge All mountain one. Got one at Christmas time and its great. I also 2nd the Bell Stoker if you can somehow get hold of one. tried my pals Large one on and it fitted my large head perfectly. Plus its a tremendous green colour.

rOcKeTdOg

661 Evo AM is on my want list

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Catlike Leaf

I ordered different sizes in to Halfords and chose the one that fitted.

Very comfortable/light and not too hot either

midlifecrashes

Bell Lumen, Halfords, £20. Couldn’t face the enduro green of the Stoker.

robgclarkson
    Free Member

Bell Super 2R… i’m so effing enduro 8)

winston
    Free Member

A1 for me too – comfy, loads of coverage and keeps your head warm this time of year!

Burchy1
    Free Member

I’ve got a Troy Lee A1, very comfy with nice pads in it. Does get hot though. Before that i had a Giro Hex which was also a very nice lid, more airy than the A1 and a bit less #enduro 🙄

CRC had A1’s for about £55-60 in the sale a while back.

robgclarkson
    Free Member

i tried the A1 before i got the super 2r, and it was lovely, but for me the plastic liner thing comes down a touch too far, and on my “uniquely” shaped head this was a huge no no 🙁

kristoff
    Free Member

Had a nose at a bell super 2r at pedal a bike away while at the forest of Dean last weekend, looks like a really versatile lid. Certainly not £60 though.

My current lid is a TLD A1 if you can pick up a last year model for sensible money I can highly recommend it, comfiest helmet I’ve ever owned.

Ixs trail Rs gets very good reviews and can be had for sensible money.

Riksbar

Wow! £17 for the stoker at Burnley Halfords with 15% off at the till.

gnusmas

Liking the input so far, wish i could get hold of a Stoker 🙁 It would give me some time to save and possibly get something better.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

last years model Bell Super is £60 in various outlets and a range of sizes and colours, I got the awesumz black/white from CRC (use a £5-off code to hit £60)

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/bell-super-helmet-2014/rp-prod115334

Ive just picked up a 17 quid Bell Stoker in green from halfords as an, erm, spare 🙂 , and whilst I’ll be keeping it, it’s not as nicely finished or featured as the Super. IT EVEN COMES WITH A GO PRO MOUNT FOR ADDED RAD TO THE MAX GNARR!!!

doom_mountain

I ended up with a IXS Trail RS, really happy with the fit and quality.
    I love the styling of the Bell Super but it just didn’t fit, medium too tight but the large was massive 🙁

Morale of the story, try stuff on 😉

robgclarkson
    Free Member

oh.. i didn’t see the £60 limit 🙁

thegreatape
    Free Member

I’ve just sent a Leaf back to Wiggle, just a Smidge too small for my 63cm swede. Which was odd, because when I tried one on in Halfords at Christmas it felt really comfy. Either my hair has grown a bit or I’ve acquired another cranial dent since December. Still, someone picked up a large £20 Stoker for me yesterday, so that should do.

monkeyboyjc

I’ve got Urge’s

Both can be had for about £40 from crc and have been great – Supercross for the road and all mountain for the mtb.
    Marmite looks – but I like that.

h1jjy
    Free Member

Fox Flux, as recommended by my local bike shop. It’s fits well and in matte black so not on your face paint scheme

plus-one

Another vote for the ixs trail rs… Lovely looking lid and very well made and comfy.. Replaced a giro xar..

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Went to Pedalon today and bought one of these:

http://www.pedalon.co.uk/acatalog/giro-phase-helmet-blue-2014.html

In that blue, which looks great. Tried others on and still went back to Giro, as they fit the best for my bonce, which is most important. Which is why I went to the shop to try them. Great shop and I paid less than the on line price too to just be out of budget 😉

skydragon
    Free Member

Bluegrass Goldeneye.

Now reduced to around £60, was originally well over £100 see here

Great helmet, good head coverage and excellent ventilation….unlike a Bell Super (or 2R) you won’t sweat like a grandad at a gangbang.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘New helmet suggestions/what helmets do you have?’ is closed to new replies.