Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • new helmet recommendations needed please…
  • gonzy
    Free Member

i’ve had my Giro Xen for nearly 8 years now and its now starting to show its age…also if you believe the consensus that a helmet should be replaced after 4 years then it is looooong overdue….
    having said that the wife has kindly offered to replace it for my birthday 😀 , but has asked me what make, model, size, colour i want it in (not much of a surprise then!!)….
    i could do with some suggestions on what to go for and if anyone has spotted any bargains that would be good…
    i need a medium and would prefer one that is similar in design to the Xen…

gonzy
    Free Member

should have mentioned i’ve been looking at the Xar and Hex in the Giro range…
    also i know 661 have the Recon and Fox do the Flux….
    should i consider any of these i.e. how good are they compared to the Giro’s?
    or should i stick to the Giro models?

kayak23

Fox Flux I have. It’s you know, good…

stevied
    Free Member

Hex here, very good helmet.

kristoff
    Free Member

I’ve always had giro lids and on my last change I thought I’d try a met… Glad I went to try one on first… Didn’t fit comfortably on my head at all.

Ended up with a new giro and quite happy with it. Ticks all the boxes for me.

I’d definitely try before you have your heart set on one purely from a looks perspective.

superfli
    Free Member

I’m loving my Urge AM. Bit pricey mind, but it is your birthday 🙂

gonzy
    Free Member

I’m loving my Urge AM. Bit pricey mind, but it is your birthday

sorry, that one looks a bit fugly!! 😯

reggiegasket
    Free Member

661s in the private sale at CRC are £35 (Stealth and Wired versions).

Last time I tried some on the Fox Stryker (I think) was the best fitting. Currently run a Hex which is fine.

bails

I’ve gone back to my Hex after buying a Flux. My giro shaped head just doesn’t work with the flux. It manages to be too big and too small at the same time.
    Try one of the Kask helmets if you can, I’ve got a road one and the fit is better than anything else I’ve tried. ££££ though!

andyl
    Free Member

I quite fancy a Bell Super Helmet but don’t think they are in stock yet (new for 2013)

Coyote
    Free Member

Xen wearer in the past. Switched to a Kali Chakra. Much less of a mushroom effect.Good prices too.

properbikeco
    Free Member

Giro hex has done me well, a bit dearer now though than when I bought mine

woody2000

I bought a TSG Substance recently, pleasantly surprised with it (bought blind). Previously had a med Bell Variant which was always a little tight (but the L was way too big), went for a large Substance and it fits really well. Nicely made, pretty light and pleasingly non-mushroom like 🙂

£30 at Leisure Lakes

http://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/p/9479/tsg-substance-all-mountaintrails-helmet-sale

superfurryhead
    Free Member

Last time I replaced tried Giro, Fox and 661 all seemed to be for different heads and went for the Fox Striker as it fitted like a glove but do really like the new Giro Feature, understated, CRC have got the 2013 on sale at the mo’ but I can’t justify new helmet yet 🙁

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘new helmet recommendations needed please…’ is closed to new replies.