Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • New helmet – mips or no mips
  • andygreener

Looking for a new helmet. Should I be looking at mips?

theboyneeds
    Free Member

I recently had the same conundrum. I went no mips for three reasons…

1) they cost more!
    2) i couldn’t work out whether a minor otb would be enough to make the inner mips membrane slip and thus ruin the helmet.
    3) i read something on the internet that pointed out that even a well fitted helmet would slip on your hair and and move with your scalp to such a degree that the mips system is a little redundant. Give it a go…

Supposedly the safest sort of helmet is all smooth and roumd like a motorcycle lid so nothin can catch it as you scrape along the pavement and thus twist your melon (man).

So I’m probably wrong (and I’m sure this will be pointed out to me fairly soon) but i decided not to mips on this occasion.

Hope that helps!

jamj1974

I’ve gone MIPS for my last two helmets as it seems to make sense in minimising potential for rotational injury. I generally buy expensive helmets as this is where new technologies appear first. It’s an area where I don’t hesitate to spend money.

that pointed out that even a well fitted helmet would slip on your hair

I’m bald.

sweaman2
    Free Member

A neurologist friend recently said she wouldn’t buy a bike helmet without MIPS (this was unhelpfully about a month after I’d brought a helmet without MIPS).

However I couldn’t find a MIPS helmet that fitted as well as my non-MIPS IXS and I still reckon fit is key. I also somewhat agree with previous poster that the MIPS liner seems a little fragile and is something else to get sweaty.

sparkyrhino

can you wear a buff under the mips hair net thing?

poey50
    Free Member

I read the same article so it was no-MIPS for me.

sharkattack

I’ve cracked my head off the ground so many times without Mips that I feel pretty safe without it.

I’m also of the opinion that all helmets swivel on your head anyway so making one that deliberately rotates in two separate pieces seems overkill. I can see it working on a motorbike helmet where you might take a glancing blow at 70mph.

Rubber_Buccaneer

I went MIPS in the hope it gives extra protection. It does cost a little more but to make that worse MIPS only gets fitted to the more top end helmets at present. I got a Scott Stego on Cycle Scheme so the tax payer is helping pay for a chunk of it, thanks for that 🙂

fd3chris
    Free Member

I got a mips poc in a sale for £80 so extra cost wasn’t an issue and it’s an area I don’t mind spending on.

kiwijohn

I just got the Bell Super 2R MIPS, because it’s a lot more comfortable than the regular one.

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

went no MIPS in my bushwhacker because i wanted a blue one.

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

went no MIPS…similar thinking to above but in the end I went back to the URGE.

I wanted to give the Montaro a try but it wasn’t yet out in the UK at the time.

Wookster

I’ve got a Montaro with MIPS. Liked the fit, and in the end, it cost about the same as my shoes….I reckon my heads more important that my feet!

poey50
    Free Member

This is worth a look …

http://www.bhsi.org/mips.htm

tenfoot

Wookster – how do you find the ventilation? I’d like a Montaro but I am worried that the ventilation is not as good as my current Hex.
    Thanks.

molgrips
    Free Member

From that bhsi article:

Vents are necessary, but make sure they are smoothly faired into the helmet shell, and avoid any helmet with unnecessary fashion ridges on the outside,

Oops:

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘New helmet – mips or no mips’ is closed to new replies.