Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • New hardtail – Ragley Big Wig
  • Yetiman
    Free Member

I’ve been meaning to get a new hardtail for a while now, and the loss of my Nicolai earlier in the week finally prompted me to move on a Ragley Big Wig that was available. It’s a complete bike, built for someone slightly shorter than me, so it’ll need some tweaking to fit properly, but I had a quick blast on it before work this morning and I think I’m going to get on really well with it.
    It feels really chuckable, and the 140mm Fox 34 Floats don’t overwhelm it at all, and I can’t believe I’m saying this but the 750mm Kinesis Strut bars actually felt narrow 🙄 ……compared to the 780mm bars on my Nicolai, but I like how the steering felt so I won’t be changing them, and I think I’ll probably swap the 40mm stem for a 50mm, and move the seat back a touch to give me a wee bit more room. The 1×9 drivetrain felt ok, but I missed out two steep climbs this morning so it will be interesting to see how I get on next time out, as I’m used to lower gearing on my 1×10 29er Nicolai which is also fitted with a Hope T-Rex.

My Nicolai was thankfully recovered by the police yesterday, but I think the Big Wig will be seeing plenty of action this summer.

It’s nice to have a hardtail again 🙂

Rosss
    Free Member

Looks really nice, that. Any idea on frame and full bike weight? I was looking at building one frame up for longer xcx rides and trail centres

Yetiman
    Free Member

No weights yet, but I’ve copied the spreadsheet I made for my old Blue Pig, so I now just need to find all the manufacturers weights for the Big Wig parts.

Yetiman
    Free Member

Just plugged some numbers in and I get just under 27lbs, but it’s probably closer to 28, maybe a bit more.

Full spec is

18” Ragley Big WIg
    Fox 34 Float 140mm
    Mavic 719 / Hope Pro2 Evo wheels (tubeless)
    2.4” Conti Mountain King 2 black chili tyres
    XTR crank arms / 30t RF narrow wide ring
    9sp Saint short cage mech, XT shifter
    9sp XT cassette
    Formula The Ones
    Reverb
    45mm Control Tech stem
    750mm Kinesis Strut carbon bars
    ODI Yeti lock-ons

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘New hardtail – Ragley Big Wig’ is closed to new replies.