Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • New hardtail around £1500.
  • joolsburger
    Free Member

I’m after a decent hardtail for wheels on ground riding to replace my FS bike. I’d still like to ride about on singletrack but nothing more involved than that, I don’t fancy a 29 and I don’t need anything burly anymore.

Any deals around for that kind of money or less, prolly 650b and with half decent kit size 19/large?

jambalaya
    Free Member

Cube ?

steve_b77
    Free Member

KTM Aera Comp 27.5″, I’ve go the 29er version and it’s mega.

The inbetweener got the bestest ever test score in some French MTB magazine thats been going since the dawn of time

ska-49
    Free Member

Orange Crush 120mm
    Kona Explosif 650b

scottfitz
    Free Member
    joolsburger
    Free Member

That Bird is lovely, I’ve never heard of them either.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

^^^ bird. Its the word, apparently.

But yes, Bird are very very good.

ska-49
    Free Member

Oh, of course! Bird- great people behind the start up.
    I also own a piece of them 8)

z1ppy

Whyte 901, spend the spare cash on a set of Hope Hoops?

That Bird looks good value though.

scottfitz
    Free Member

joolsburger – Member
    That Bird is lovely, I’ve never heard of them either.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/see-those-bird-hardtails

AlexSimon

I didn’t recommend the Bird Zero earlier, because I assumed it would be a little slack, heavy and ‘solid’ for the riding you described.

No doubting their value though.
    They seem to be very ‘switched on’ in terms of spec too. Some very clever/appealing decisions made.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Every time I see a link to Bird I think I should get one, purely as its such a fine surname 8)

thegreatape
    Free Member

scottfitz – Member
    £1300
    http://shop.birdmtb.com/zero/zero-1.html

I have a blue one of those. It’s rather nice.

darkcyan
    Free Member

Go used. 500.00 for all the bike you will ever need. Why pay New prices?

Just look at eBay.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Bird. Local dudes near Swinley. New bike business. Nice angle on direct to customer and customisable options. Good value on the components. Nice design and colours. Name that means you can say “Bird is the Word” and “I’m flipping my Bird”. Gets my support 😀

Though yes, they may be a bit more towards AM style hard tail in that the Zero is slack, but frame takes 120 to 150 I think.

superstu
    Free Member

Not that i believe all I read but the Bird got a very average review in MBR

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Not that i believe all I read but the Bird got a very average review in MBR

thats because it wasn’t a specialized.

thegreatape
    Free Member

8/10 in MBR
    4/5 in WMB

takisawa2

You could put a nice Stooge together for that. 😕
    Something different.

superstu
    Free Member

My bad…all i remember is that they basically said but the whyte 901 instead.
    I like the adaptability of the Bird and the options to spec

ampthill

You’ll be fine

It would be quite hard not to get a good hard tail for that price

My gut feeling is if your quite wheels on the round (like me) perhaps best not to go too burly, too steep or too much travel

I’ll contradict myself by sugesting this

http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bikes/mountain/ht-27/high-latitude-lt

mboy
    Free Member

If you want a lighter, racier bike, the KTM Aera Comp is staggeringly good for the money! In fact, all it really needs to be a pukka race bike is a slightly lighter set of wheels, not that the Shimano/Mavic wheels on it are bad (far from it) mind… Comes in 29er (faster) and 650b (bit more nimble maybe) flavours and if you are quick, there was a 2014 model left in stock at the distributors in a 19″ that one of the mags tested for 3 weeks that they were chucking out for a mere £900! Even at the full £1449 it’s a ridiculous bargain mind…

If you want a slacker, meaner trail weapon, the either the Whyte 901 or 905 is the way to go. Though neither is heavy, they’re definitely not XC race bikes as the geometry is pretty radical, but they seem to astound anyone that slings a leg over them! Certainly a proper hooligan of a bike for mixing it up with full sussers.

Why a no to 29ers though? There’s plenty of fantastic 29ers at that price point that will really blow the preconceptions about the larger wheel size away, such as the Kinesis FF29 and the Whyte 729.

benpinnick

Bird Zero got straight in at #2 spot in WMB best mid-price trail hardtails – and that was the old pricing. Its only £1200 for the same model as tested now…

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘New hardtail around £1500.’ is closed to new replies.