Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • new hardtail
  • harvey
    Free Member

i want a new hardtail !
    29′ wheels, boost axles, 2x gears 120mm forks, light weight- for winter play/xc/adventure races. ‘modern’ geometry if possible. i don’t mind last years models, or 2nd hand,in fact probably so as this year’s models all seem to be 1x. any suggestions welcome ( size large )also open to frame only and build up

ton

my new solaris is all that.

oldnpastit

My Stanton sherpa is all that.

bramblesummer
    Free Member

2nd the Stanton Sherpa, you described it exactly!

metalheart
    Free Member

My SolarisMAX and Sherpa are/could be that (except the Stanton has B+ wheels and the Cotic has just got 29er wheels…).

I had to go custom on both to get 2x but both companies accommodated no problem.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/WiuZch]Sherpa outside Drakes[/url] by Metalheart-UK, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/R81C2j]SolarisMAX[/url] by CoticLtd, on Flickr

Just squint a little and think 29er instead…. 😉

Both are large, Cotic has a sideswing FM which seems better (not sure if Stanton can route for it). Cotic is longer and (for me) has a more comfortable position. Stanton is more ‘playful’ but only has 100mm forks. Also has 142 bolt through rear (but I believe they have drop outs to suit Boost now making it a little more versatile in that 3 options). No, I don’t really need two B+ bikes…. I’d sell the Stanton first (due to the Cotic being more comfortable and its main use for me is bikepacking…). Apologies if this is a ramble… 😳

Hold on, is that better?:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Xzom5t]B+9er ;-)[/url] by Metalheart-UK, on Flickr

ryu1720
    Free Member

I will be moving on my barely used medium Solaris max frame with a few extra bits if your interested OP .Brilliant bike but just not getting used .

tomhoward

Pivot Les, if budget isn’t a factor 8)

tmb467
    Free Member

Ha – if budget isn’t a factor I’d go Chromag. Surface is amazing – and mine is last models spec (so not as slack as I’d like)

Edit – not got a boost rear but front is fine

You well btw? (Q to TomHoward)

iainc

I could be tempted by the rumoured new Soul…

tomhoward

Aye, not too shabby, currently lamenting only just being able to ride (non assisted…) for the first time in a month as done something to my hip meaning i had limited movement, all the while bricking it as torq 12:12 is in a week, I’m doing 12 hr solo…

Will we see you on the next shop ride?

tmb467
    Free Member

Eek – sounds bad! Glad you’re out again tho.

Re the shop ride I’m unlikely – now living darn sarf near Reading so making do with beech lined bridleways instead of rocks n mud.

Clink

Surely something lighter than steel for adventure races?

momo

In the vain of recommending what you’ve got, I’ll put forward the genesis tarn, my size large frame has longer reach (465mm) than the XL size Stanton or Cotic while having a short enough seat tube to allow me to run a long dropper.

whitestone
    Free Member

My steel HT (Solaris) comes out at 11.5Kg with a carbon fork so not too shabby for “adventure racing”. Got a Spearfish frame on the way (weigh?), not too sure on what the front end is going to be (I’ve got three options) but I don’t think it will be more than 13Kg whichever I choose.

harvey
    Free Member

thanks guys for the suggestions. i have had look through them. are there any carbon or aluminium frames that fit the bill and a little lighter ?
    i have just bought a new ibis ripley which i love, now need a winter equivalent hardtail, but funds not available for a high end option

tomhoward

are there any carbon

pivot les 29

Onzadog
    Free Member

That pivot les looks lovely, but a little short. Any alternatives?

steve_b77
    Free Member

I was wondering why everyone is recommending steel when the OP asked for light.

Surely carbon is the way to go

Clink

Trek Superfly//Procaliber – but only 100mm fork.

federalski
    Free Member

In a similar dilemma myself.
    The Solaris Max, Stanton Sherpa and Santa Cruz Chameleon are the three I am mulling over.

Onzadog
    Free Member

And on the light carbon ones, stealth droplets don’t seem to be catered for.

tomhoward

And on the light carbon ones, stealth droplets don’t seem to be catered for.

Piv… oh right yeah, short… is it really obvious what I want next?

I imagine because race light carbonistas don’t run droppers, mainly.

Onzadog
    Free Member

But the pivot claims to be a ride all day rather than a race frame but a stealth dropper isn’t possible without a 1x set up and a bit of drilling.

core

Is the chameleon not suitable here?

Onzadog
    Free Member

Isn’t that a bit hefty?

a11y

Transition Vanquish: https://www.transitionbikes.com/Bikes_Vanquish.cfm. Stealthy black for me please.

Frame 3.3lbs / 1500g. You’ll wince when you see the price.

fatbikeandcoffee
    Free Member

Not sure on the fork, not 100% tech head here, but would the Kona Honzo CR range, carbon frame run 29er wheels and 120mm?

James

gaidong
    Free Member

The Vanquish is stunning. Was mulling one over when Kingdom came out with their X2 offer…

core

New Niner Air 9

harvey
    Free Member

yep, new inner air it is. just makes my eyes water at the price !

Onzadog
    Free Member

The niner looks good. Wish it took a stealth dropper.

That Transition might be in the lead for me. Someone said it was an open mould bike but I can’t find it anywhere.

Clink

New Niner Air 9

Anyone found the UK pricing yet and I presume it would take a stealth dropper? Unless people are looking at the old frames on Stif?

Onzadog
    Free Member

Looking on the niner site, it looks like it’s still 27.2

Clink

Nope 30.9

Onzadog
    Free Member

Hard to trust the internet, I just found a Spanish site saying it was 31.6. Looking at the geometry though, it looks like getting a size that is long enough would mean I couldn’t touch the floor sat on the top tube.

Clink

Pics on Niner site show it built with a dropper and it says 30.9

Onzadog
    Free Member

That explains it, I was looking at the carbon ones.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘new hardtail’ is closed to new replies.