Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • New Halfords ad on the telly…
  • milky1980
    Free Member

Is it being a bit irresponsible?

I have a bit of a ‘thing’ about this so bear with me.

It shows the usual family on bikes, camping trip etc. Then at the end it has an SUV with a strap-on bike rack on the back. Not the safest way to transport bikes but that’s not the issue. What is the issue is that the bikes obscure the lights and number plate ie illegal. Surely a nationwide chain should set a good example?

I’m fed up of seeing big, expensive cars (usually German) with a decent bike on the back held on by a cheap rack blocking the lights and plate. It’s just dangerous, especially at night or in the rain. If you can afford a decent car and bike get a decent rack and a lighting board, roof bars or put it in the boot! The worst are the ones with a towbar and then using a strap-on rack, or even worse, one of those basic ball-mounted racks with no lighting board. Take a look around the car park at any trail centre and you’ll see loads of examples. I would like to say that traffic cops will pull them over at some point but I’ve only seen one traffic car this year so that’s unlikely.

First world problem or a genuine concern?

perchypanther
    Free Member

I’m fed up of seeing big, expensive cars (usually German) with a decent bike on the back held on by a cheap rack blocking the lights and plate. It’s just dangerous, especially at night or in the rain. If you can afford a decent car and bike get a decent rack and a lighting board, roof bars or put it in the boot!

….whereas, if you’ve got a ten year old Mondeo it’s perfectly acceptable to duct tape your bike to the tailgate and you’ll be fine?

What does the value or country of origin of the car matter?

tomhoward

Of the two options, I’d say it’s the former.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    cloudnine
    Free Member

I’m guessing he means German car = should know better.. Cheap old banger = thicko who knows no better..

milky1980
    Free Member

Decent car and decent bike = should know better.

You’d think after spending a decent amount of cash on bikes the owner would want to use a safe means of transporting them.

Anyway, I was actually pointing out that Halfords show an illegal car in their ad, setting a poor example.

4130s0ul
    Free Member

I’ve got a strap-on rack…

perchypanther
    Free Member

I’ve got a strap-on rack…

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Waaaahaaaay. 😀
    Anyway, if you are buying from Halfwords would you have a decent bike ( just sayin’)( I know, Halfords do good bikes…)

4130s0ul
    Free Member

PP, not quite the “strap-on” rack I was thinking of 😆

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘New Halfords ad on the telly…’ is closed to new replies.