Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • New Gyro frames for £899, don't tempt me now………
  • troberts1994
    Free Member

Been lusting after a Segment since they were first launched but Bikescene are seducing me with super cheap gyro prices! ARGGHHHHH Gyro frame and angleset or Segment???!?!?! So much confusion!

The main offender: http://www.bikescene.co.uk/Orange-Gyro-Frame-5462-107-0.html

mcnultycop

There are lots of £900 FS frames I’d look at before thinking that offered any value at all.

roverpig

I bought my Five frame from those guys in similar circumstances (big reduction when the 650b model came out). Can’t fault the service.

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

I just bought a Cube 120 AMS 29 frame for a shade above £400, so £900 doesn’t seem too much of a bargain to me.

My other thought is that, if you’re messing about with head angle adjusters, it probably isn’t the right frame.

cb

They’ve been that price on there for a long time, which suggests to me that they aren’t exactly in huge demand. That said, its a bargain if you think it is rather than what anyone else thinks.

matther01
    Free Member

I’d rather have Bird Aeris for that price…but 29ers aren’t my thing

chakaping
    Free Member

This would be a good alternative, I’ve ridden one extensively and it’s a great bike full stop as well as a bargain…
    http://www.blueflowbikes.com/hammerhead-thumper-closeouts/hammerhead-thumper-frame

roverpig

I think there is a lot of deliberate point missing going on here. The OP wants an Orange 29er. This is the cheapest way of getting one. More to the point, is the Segment worth £600 more?

How big an angle change would you be looking for? I guess a 2 degree headset would fit, but at 120mm would that make the BB too low.

I think Guy Martin rides (or at least rode) a Gyro with a Works Components headset for some pretty big events. So, I guess they aint too shabby.

munrobiker
    Free Member

More to the point, is the Segment worth £600 more?

The best way to solve this is to write it out.

Six.
    HUNDRED.
    Pounds.

No, no, that frame is not worth £600 more than the Gyro.

From what I see on the geometry charts the Gyro is 2 degrees steeper, 6mm longer stays and a BB 8mm taller.

Apart from the stays you could solve all of that with a set of offset bushings and save yourself the RRP of a posh suspension fork.

roverpig

And that guy over at Mojo reckons we’re all riding around on bikes with chainstays that are too short anyway 🙂

I think you’d struggle with offset bushings on a Gyro though as the tyre almost hits the seat tube at full compression as it is. A headset would work and it sounds as though dropping the BB a bit would be no bad thing. I guess you’d end up with a pretty steep seat tube angle, but maybe you get round that by using a seatpost with some layback and sticking the saddle back a bit.

z1ppy

cb – Member
    They’ve been that price on there for a long time

TBF they been £999 for ages, but another £100 price drop is nice. Why the surprise, it’s a discontinued model? The fact that Bikescene were openly selling them ‘cheap’ before they were dropped was a clear hint that they were on the way out in my mind. I’d be interested to hear from any dealer, as to when they were aware of the Gyro imminent demise though, as a number of “new” bikes (from bikeshops) have appeared on eBay since…

Bregante

O.P I can thoroughly recommend the Gyro. I haven’t ridden the Segment but I bought a similarly cheap (actually cheaper still) Gyro frame in February this year, making the switch from a 140 mm Nicolai 26″ and have no regrets whatsoever. Fantastic uk trail bike IMO.

singlesteed
    Free Member

+1 on mcnultycops post although they probable are a decent enough frame.

Personally would try and source an Intense Spider 29 if I were in your position as alloy version one pops up cheapish second hand and the ride is second to none unless it’s a carbon spider of course 😉

Bregante

although they probable are a decent enough frame.

So you haven’t ridden one then?

singlesteed
    Free Member

No but am sure they are decent enough as I lust after one in sterling silver at snow and rock recently.

I’m trying to advise my best to my brother to get a complete gyro.

roverpig

I did test ride one (over 4 days), but didn’t buy it. To be honest I’m still not sure why. In many ways it is my ideal bike. Something bomb proof that will be happy on long but not too technical XC rides but wont frighten the life out of me everytime the trail points down. It still holds a few of my personal records (up and down) 18 months later as well.

Northwind

It’s a personal thing but I wouldn’t pay that for a Gyro, it’s their first stab at a suss 29er and there’s a reason it’s being retired with such haste IMO, it’s just not especially good imo- flexy, not a very good pedaller, and not especially light. it’s more defined by what it’s bad at than good. I’m not sure their basic design lends itself that well to this sort of bike. If you want a short travel 29er there’s better options imo. I wasn’t blown away by the Whyte 129 frinstance but it does the same job far better and you can get a whole bike for £1200.

But yeah, if you want a cheap 29er Orange then this is it. And building one from a frame would be the best way to do it imo.

roverpig

I think I’d be tempted to wait until I’d seen a few reviews of the Segment at least. I doubt these frames are going to to anywhere fast. May even drop in price a bit more.

Although the Segment looks pretty similar on paper, you can only tell so much from a geometry chart. If, for example, they’ve made the Segment stiffer that could have a bigger effect on how it rides than a few mm here or there on the chainstay.

grenosteve
    Free Member

If you want a 29er orange full sus bike, go for it. The segment wont be any different to us mortals IMO, and isn’t worth an extra £600.

Looks like a very nice frame to me.

petersnell
    Free Member

Had mine since May, bought as a full pro spec bike with almost a £1000 off the rrp. It’s a great do it all trail bike imo and copes with pretty much everything I’ve ridden. Just back from the roc dazur where it handled steep climbs followed by rocky fast descents better than I did. Replaced both my 29er hardtail and santa cruz heckler. Might buy a works angleset to see what it’s like but to be honest it doesn’t really need it.

chestrockwell

If you want a Segment then I’d get one tbh. You’ll only wish you did if you don’t. People were raving about them at the demo day I did last weekend.

roverpig

Did they say what they liked about it, or was it just general unfocussed raving 🙂

chestrockwell

Comments around it being very stable, fast, the usual stuff. They seemed to like it though. Lot’s of interest in the Alpine 5 as well which the chap from Orange confirmed is the same frame as the 5 29 which I can confirm if ace as I have one!

Northwind

Five 29/Alpine Five is the best Orange I’ve ever ridden. And barely any less good up the hills than the Gyro- they’re both kind of dominated by weight and single pivotness rather than travel. But coming down the Five is a bloomin weapon, loved it. Didn’t feel like “too much bike” even on simple bits of glentress red for that matter. Just really bloody good.

It’s probably not the logical choice for everyone, mind!

chestrockwell

Agreed Northwind. Tried the 650b 5 as well and that’s more like a mini Alpine 5 then a bigger 26″ 5 if that makes sense? Very good with the correct forks and I much prefered it to the SC Tallboy LRC I tested.

roverpig

I still don’t really “get” the Segment. I mean, what’s it for?

The Gyro was Orange’s mile-munching XC/Marathon bike. OK, you may think that other manufacturers do that sort of bike better, but if you wanted an Orange and you wanted that sort of bike, the Gyro was the obvious choice.

The Segment replaces the Gyro, but doesn’t seem to be aimed at the same market. In fact, it seems to be another hard hitting trail bike. Fair enough, that’s what Orange do best, but why would you choose it over the Five, Alpine or Alpine Five?

Maybe it climbs better than all the other options, or maybe that’s just the advantage of building bikes by hand in the UK. You can offer lots of solutions to the same problem since it doesn’t really make much difference which one the customer chooses. It’s a bit confusing though.

chestrockwell

I see it as there was no real market for the Gyro anymore as fashion has moved on and the real xc beasts as light carbon jobs.

Looks to me more like them offering options around what sells i.e. 5 + Segment as general options in both wheel sizes, Alpine 5 + 160 as the both wheel enduro/all mountain/blah offerings.

I can see where they’re coming from as I never felt over biked on a 26″ 5 but I do on the Alpine, even though the theory is the same. I know what I mean. 🙄 😆

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘New Gyro frames for £899, don't tempt me now………’ is closed to new replies.