Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • New Guy! Looking at 29er? Or Possibly a 27.5 (650) Undecided Dilemma. Help!
  • moss
    Free Member

Hi All,
    I’m new to the Singletrack Forum. I’m a road bike enthusiast; but also ride the trails and a bit of cross country on my old rigid MTB’s. I’ve recently been looking at the 29ers (Trek Cobia or similar) also looking at the new-ish 27.5 (650) (Giant Talon 650) I realise there’s been much debate about these bikes! But which one is here to stay?? I think the 650, could be just a flash in the pan?? I know the 29ers have become extremely popular with XC cyclists. What are your thoughts on these bikes? Oh; and any recommendations with a link to a bargain, would be appreciated. Thanks…

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

29 – dull, possibly about to fade away a bit

650 – probably a silly fad, with little advantages

26 about to die (apparently)

Three competing standards – pick one. 🙂

notmyrealname
    Free Member

Find a local shop that has demo bikes with both wheel sizes.
    Test ride the bikes.
    Decide which one you like most and buy it.

😀

z1ppy

Try one and make your own decision, that wot I did, and now very happy with my new bike.

69er
    Free Member

I’ve been here for years and still can’t decide….

6079smithw
    Free Member

Full suspension > wheel size

moss
    Free Member

Even after riding and trying I find it difficult to decide. Appreciate your input though; very enlightening mae mae baa baa.

69er, are you an old timer like me?

Forgot to say it’s a Hartail bike I’m looking at.

69er
    Free Member

Old timer? Guilty m’lud. I’m 50 and the clock is ticking faster every day 😉

6079smithw
    Free Member

moss – Member

Forgot to say it’s a Hartail bike I’m looking at.
    Would you buy a 4×4 without rear suspension?

roverpig

Discussions about which wheel size is here to stay are pure speculation at the moment. Anybody who tells you that they know which will win out in the long run is either deluding themselves or has their own agenda. On the plus side, that means that you can just pick whichever one you like and you’ll have just as much chance of being right as anybody else.

I think we can say that spares for all three sizes will be available for the next 5 years or so. Even if manufacturers keep up the 650b push for a few years (which is an assumption) it will take that long to make a dent in the installed base. Not everybody changes bikes every year or two.

I’ve been riding a 26″ bike and a 29er for the past six months and I honestly couldn’t tell you that one was better than the other. They each have their advantages and disadvantages. I do know that I don’t feel any need to a add a third wheel size to the mix. But I also know that if one of my existing two sizes disappears from the market in 5-10 years I wont be all that bothered. I’ll still be able to buy a bike that rides the way I want it to and by then all my 26″ and 29er parts will be worn out anyway.

Jamie
    Free Member

650 – probably a silly fad, with little advantages

According to some on here, it really brings the trail alive™.

z1ppy

If pushed I’d suggest a 29er would seemingly be the obvious answer for you and going by the scant info in your post (rigid mtb, trail choice & roadie).
    As per Roverpig, none of the wheel size’s are about to disappear, even 26er will be around for year and years to come, even if 650 does become predominant.

A classic XC 29er of some sort.. lots of 2013 bike bargains are going to start coming through soon as they gear up to the 2014 ranges. Set your budget and start looking…

moss
    Free Member

Would you buy a 4×4 without rear suspension?

NO! But I’m not thinking of buying a 4×4. A two wheeled bycycle with Rock-Shox air front suspension. I love the hard tail bikes or solid frame bikes.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

TBH being new to MTB – I’d go for a hardtail. They are way better value than FS and hardtail gives you all the true skillz, init… 😉

Personally, if I were in the market for a 29er hardtail, I’d go for one of These

..but then, as has been said – there will be lots of bargains around on other (more mainstream) 2013 bikes to follow.

moss
    Free Member

Old timer? Guilty m’lud. I’m 50 and the clock is ticking faster every day

I was 50, fifteen years ago! Although, in my mind; I’m only 30, even though I look and feel over 65.

moss
    Free Member

Roverpig, & Z1ppy,

Your inputs are very much appreciated. I have a yearning for the 29er hardtail. I’ve been looking at this >:

http://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/m1b194s200p10855/TREK-Cobia-2013/RS_GB/30470

Anyone have any thoughts about the Trek Cobia or suggest other 29ers ??

moss
    Free Member

NED,

This : Personally, if I were in the market for a 29er hardtail, I’d go for one of These is over my budget …
    Looking for a bargain between £500 to £800

robbieh
    Free Member

hey Moss, your older than me!!! Not something I usually find on this forum. I’ m 63 next week and FWIW I ride a 29er HT and just recently finished building a 26 er for my own comparison. I would base you choice on the sort of tracks/trails you ride. I’ve found I prefer the 29 for open flowing trails and the 26 for twisty stuff which we have locally , it’s a lot of stop start in and out of tight squeezes between trees with hardly any time on the road getting there . Even though the 2 frames have the same geometry, ( both On-One, Scandal 29 And Whippet) for some reason they are quite different feeling to me. The 29 is much more comfortable on my old joints too, and much quicker on trail centres I’ve been to. Hope you find something to suit your riding.

rob.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Forget wheel size and just buy the bike you want. The riding characteristic of a bike is just as, if not more, influenced by geometry than wheel size. You’ve got more chance picking the winning lottery numbers than trying to second guess the wheel size thing.

robbieh
    Free Member

Just saw your budget, Scandal29 inside by 1p!

6079smithw
    Free Member

If you’re not too lanky then this is a bargain
    http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/k1275/a86728/zr-race-29er-6-1-sl.html

Or just go crazy and get this on Buy Now Pay Later (12 months)
    http://www.pedalon.co.uk/acatalog/cannondale_f29_2.html

NormalMan

I’d also recommend a 29er HT.

In true STW tradition I’d like to suggest what I ride 😉 although it’s over budget.
    I’ve got a Carve Expert but the cheapest Carve I’ve seen is this (same frame)

http://www.freeborn.co.uk/specialized-carve-comp-2013

Sorry, it was the best price I could find.

I’d really suggest getting a test ride on the ones that appeal but, again, I’d say 29er ht would suit your criteria.

moss
    Free Member

Like the Specialized Carve! Or Trek X-Caliber 8, (the 2013 model) not the new 2014 model. But I’m thinking that the Trek Cobia would suit me fine? Not really keen on the Scadal 29er. Cannondale would worry me about broken frames (they’ve had quite a few lately) they’re getting a bad reputation. Still a wee bit undecided on what to get. But your help is truely appreciated

NormalMan

I’ve limited experience with 29ers tbh (but love my Carve as stated above) but from what I’ve heard / read often the issue with the cheaper models is the wheel weight. I can’t say this is true or false but it makes sense.

Anyway, just something to consider as a future upgrade or if you see fit, spend a little more now.

As you like the Carve I did spot it fractionally cheaper although not with a company I’ve used:
    http://www.bicyclechain.co.uk/productdetails.asp?productid=27882&gclid=CJ-r46el67kCFbMbtAodaycARg

Also Certini Cycles are very good with Spesh and on price but they haven’t got the sales prices up on the site for the Carve yet so might be worth giving them a ring. I’ve bought loads from them and they are excellent:

http://www.certini.co.uk/

6079smithw
    Free Member
    richieokeefe1
    Free Member

I’ve owned 29er and 650b and 650b is utter tosh ! Sold the 650b wheels in the end , couldn’t believe I was a mug to think there would be a difference ! 29er on the other hand makes sense !

moss
    Free Member

With you Richie, I’m more or less drawn to the 29er. I like the Trek Cobia or X-caliber the specc on the Cobia is the same as the Carve; but a lot less money From £850 to £680 in some of the sales. I’m in no real-hurry to buy; as still in the research mode. Advise always appreciated.

khani
    Free Member

The Treks use the same frame from the Wahoo up to the X-calibre (not sure about the 2014 ones though) so even the entry level ones are ripe for upgrading over time,
    I’m loving mine.. 😀

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘New Guy! Looking at 29er? Or Possibly a 27.5 (650) Undecided Dilemma. Help!’ is closed to new replies.