Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • New gravel bike
  • molgrips
    Free Member

https://flic.kr/p/GycrqR can’t paste the images from phone.

It’s my venerable commuter hybrid with drops and whatever lighter parts I could find from my parts bin. Beige Kevlar beaded tyres £7.50 from PX!

Bregante

richen987
    Free Member

What frame is it? Looking nice, eyeing up a rove at the moment, they look like they make good light touring bikes.

molgrips
    Free Member

Kona Dew from 2007 ish. Came with Alivio at the time. Now it has a tiagra compact double, new 105 mech, apparently the new ones can take 32t cassette. PX mini Vs were £15 for both ends. Wheels are tiagra level from years ago, shifters are tiagra 9sp courtesy of someone on here, pedals are some cheap shimano flat/SPD combo jobs.

Spent about £70 not including consumables which were due a refresh. Weighs 26lbs with the guards, pedals and rack.

90mm stem too long though, needs 70mm.

Could be called a tourer, has front rack mounts too.

molgrips
    Free Member

Right, been on a 90km ride on it, which is further than it’s ever been before 🙂

– stem is a bit short maybe – the reach is fine but it’s a bit wobbly when I stand up. Fork rake perhaps?

– MTB saddle is not that comfortable for road after a few hours sat down.

– It’s incredibly stiff, which makes it brilliant to ride. The tyres take care of any buzz. Plus it’s totally silent unlike my creaky road bike.

– Not that slow either, got plenty of PRs

– Needs better bars and tape than the parts bin gave it

– Did some actual gravel – as good a gravel road as you could expect, and it was not ideal really. It made it of course but I had to slow down quite a bit. The rigid 29er is still better on the tracks around Swindon.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Blimey, someone with a bike that can take 700x50C Big Apples, stop the press! 😀

wicki
    Free Member

love it! certainly looks the part and much cheaper and lighter than some boutique gravel bikes i have seen

molgrips
    Free Member

Yeah it’s a £450 bike, had some £80 wheels added early in its life, then as above £70 and some of my parts bin. Very surprised at how nice it was to ride – stiff frame and comfy tyres ftw.

wicki
    Free Member

Thats a versatile piece of kit for the money well done .

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘New gravel bike’ is closed to new replies.