Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • New GPS time – Edge touring, 520 or….
  • Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

My 500 is goosed, I could get a cheap reconditioned replacement from Garmin, but I really want one that has smartphone connectivity as it means I don’t have to bugger about with the laptop after rides.

Not bothered about mapping.

Touring doesn’t seem to have this feature, unless I’m missing something, 520 looks good. Anything else?.

stevious

Are you bothered about heart rate and the like? If so the touring ones are out.

Oh, and I htink the Edge 25 is their cheapest/smallest smartphone linkable one.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Na, HR not an issue, sensor lies unused in a drawer.

wilko1999
    Free Member

Probably a stupid Garmin question – with a map-enabled Garmin, like an Edge Touring or eTrex, do they have the capability to just do something simple like show an os map, with a gpx file overlaid (created with ridewithgps) and show the arrow of me and the direction I’m going in? ie with no chimes, turn by turn directions, working out if I’ve gone wrong etc?

Edit : sorry for the slight thread hijack, I’m currently looking for a new Garmin too, and didn’t want to start yet another Garmin thread

stevious

wilko – not sure about the ones you’ve mentioned but the 810 can do that – you just turn off routing.

orena45

A little review of my 520 if it’s of any use

andyg1966

Wilko, etrex Garmins can do exactly what you ask, an underlying map with a GPX created line on top. Use this all the time. As you say no noises, nags or other distractions. I’ve got an etrex 30.

Map can be set to track up so always points the way you are going.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Nice review Orena, much appreciated.

mduncombe
    Free Member

if Strava is important to you go with a Garmin cycle specific device like the Edge 520 rather than a general purpose outdoor handheld GPS.

Strava does not recognise altitude data from all GPS devices, even those with an altimeter/barometer and might recalculate any elevation data. I swapped from an Oregon 600 to a edge 500 for this very reason.

My device has a barometric altimeter, why is Strava recalculating the elevation?

If you recorded your activity with a GPS device that has a barometric altimeter, but Strava isn’t using that data, it’s possible that device is not yet in our database or that the file you uploaded is missing a Device ID. We occasionally see this when activities get synced through 3rd parties so if you know the device is in our database, please try uploading the original file from the device. If you still have questions, please submit a support ticket and include a link to the Strava activity.

https://support.strava.com/hc/en-us/articles/216919447-Elevation-for-Your-Activity#whyrecalc

TiRed

I think a 520 with a loaded map. Have a 500 and an 810. The 520 is the sweet spot for size and I never use navigation – just the map and preloaded courses. The 520 will do that.

molgrips
    Free Member

Edge touring can use OS maps as you describe, if you buy them, I think. It can also plan routes for you without then giving you beeps to turn etc. Unless you want them.

So you can be out somewhere random then decide to plot a route to X via Y and it will do it.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Don’t think it has smartphone connectivity though Molly?

molgrips
    Free Member

No, it does not. That’s the trade off I had within my budget – smartphone, or maps. Couldn’t afford both!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Fair do’s matey, cheers anyway.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Super impressed with my 520.
    Map with no routing, so you can follow a course but know where you are and see turns etc.
    Texts come up on the screen which is handy.
    Uses live track so my Mrs knows when I’ll be back from a road ride and can put the kettle on.
    Texts come up on the screen so I know if I need to head back or not.
    Upload as soon as ride is finished.

For just logging and speed on MTB the 25 looks great, 520 is smallish, but crammed with bells and whistles if you want them.

Only £169 at duty free if you or anyone you know if flying soon.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Read the linked review, one thing I noticed is it stopping logging mileage. My 510 did this when it was full. Could this have happened? Maps and lots of commutes could fill the memory then it simply stops recording. Delete old rides after successful sync.

beano68
    Free Member

I use the 520 for all my rides and also use my sunnto gps watch as a back up and I’m still finding that the 520 misses the strava segments I ride and go for all the time …. the 520 is good but still needs sorting out

unsponsored
    Free Member

If you aren’t bothered about mapping then take a look at the Suunto Ambit Peak 3.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Mio 505 has WiFi connectivity, although I don’t know if the cheaper models have it.
    I find it really useful, come home from a ride, press the button and all data uploaded to the Milkshake website & from there to Strata and Endomondo should you want that.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Suunto – I don’t like riding with a watch on, and I’ve never heard of mio, sorry.

orena45

Nobeerinthefridge – Member
    Nice review Orena, much appreciated

No worries 🙂

gravity-slave – Member
    Read the linked review, one thing I noticed is it stopping logging mileage. My 510 did this when it was full. Could this have happened? Maps and lots of commutes could fill the memory then it simply stops recording. Delete old rides after successful sync.

It’s been fine since I reset it, although did do it again yesterday whilst out on a ride. I had just ridden a slightly tricky section which had caused the unit on the mount to spin round a bit on the bars, so presumed I might have knocked the pause button accidentally. But it has been several weeks and I record my daily commutes, so it’s feasible what you say might be the cause.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

520 ordered. Thanks folks.

nedrapier

Strava does not recognise altitude data from all GPS devices,

It was quite happy to take the 49,000ft elevation change recorded by my friend’s garmin on a run between Fulham and Liverpool St Station. I never knew London was that hilly. High point of 22,614ft on London Wall!

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘New GPS time – Edge touring, 520 or….’ is closed to new replies.