Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • New GPS – Garmin Fenix 2 or Suunto Ambit 2
  • rugbydick

I’m in the market for a new wrist mounted GPS.

Uses will be:
    – biking (inc using ANT+ cadence sensor),
    – ski touring (so altimeter, compass etc important)
    – running (possibly up to trail ultramarathons so battery time, navigation, etc important)

I’ve narrowed it dow to the Garmin Fenix 2 and the Suunto Ambit 2. Both are so similarly priced that £10-20 either way won’t sway the decision
    Which one would you go for and why?

somafunk

My bro has recently got the new fenix for his running/trainingetc and from a brief play with the device I can say the build quality is amazing and the depth of features is stunning, quite easy to use as well.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

I got an Ambit2s a few weeks ago, lovely bit of kit, has worked fantastically well for running and cycling so far. Very configurable so you can get the data you want on the various screens. Seems to be more accurate than my Garmin 500 in the forests.

The only downside is the MovesCount software, but at least that integrates with Strava now.

GregMay
    Free Member

From what you’re saying the Ambit2 may be a better place to look – less bugs out of the box anyway. Also be aware there are now two different versions of the Ambit2 – take a peak at http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/04/suunto-ambit2-review.html

The-Beard

I was in the market for a GPS watch about 6 months ago and looked at all the options out there and went for the Ambit 2 in the end. It’s a brilliant bit of kit, being able to design your own apps is a cool function and being able to customise each sport to suit my own needs is pretty handy. If anything it’s too involved, getting to grips with it takes ages. I’ve had mine over 6 months and still find new things! It’s accurate, the route tracking is really good and there’s a new compass bearing function in the latest software update which is useful. It has a huge battery – easily lasted 2 days out running in the hills. Movescount is a bit temperamental and the thermometer is useless if you have the watch on your wrist, other than that I’m really pleased with it.

rugbydick

@GregMay is your reasoning for the Ambit 2 just the bugs, or is there something else that would push you in that direction?
    I’d be looking at the Ambit 2, not the stripped back “R” or “S” versions

mrblobby
    Free Member

Does the Suunto now support ANT+? They use to just do their own proprietary ANT. I’d be put off a bit if this was still the case as most accessories are ANT+.

Edit: Quick check of that review and it looks like they do now. Though notice their supplied HRM isn’t ANT+.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

It can read ANT+ HR belts, powertaps etc, but still uses its own ANT with Sunnto stuff, meaning you can use your Garmin HR stap with your Ambit but not the otherway round

mogrim

I’ve got the Ambit 2S, and love it. You can use any Ant+ device with it, although I have heard that the Suunto branded Ant+ devices aren’t fully compatible with other manufacturers’ products.

One thing going for the Fenix2 is that it uses Bluetooth rather than Ant+, if you have a decent phone (Android 4.3 / IPhone) you can connect it directly.

Main downside to choosing the Fenix 2 would be worries about support and reliability – my local running shop now refuses to stock Garmin products due to the problems (and amount of returns) they had with the original Fenix.

mogrim

Edit: Quick check of that review and it looks like they do now. Though notice their supplied HRM isn’t ANT+.

I think mine is, in fact it’s dual which means it can also connect to gym machines.

mogrim

Talking about straps, another advantage to Suunto – the Garmin HR strap that came with the FR210 I had previously was very uncomfortable, to the point of rubbing me raw on long runs.

julians
    Free Member

I have an Ambit 1, its pretty good, does everything I need, not got any complaints about it.

– Battery lasts forever
    – very configurable to display pretty much anything you need.

The only downside I have found is that if its cold outside, eg in the minus degress celcius, the lcd display becomes harder to read and slower to update.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘New GPS – Garmin Fenix 2 or Suunto Ambit 2’ is closed to new replies.