Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • New Google Maps – Is it just me?
  • winston_dog
    Free Member

Or is it shit?

Seems very slow to me!

Stoner
    Free Member

yep, bit of pain in the harris.
    You can revert to the old style but as ever with google they bundle functionality in the new release that you cant get to with the old one, or even worse move functionality from the old release to the new one – like google talk to hangouts.

Grin and bear it and it will improve as they tweak it.

Im more annoyed that they’ve recently changed google hangouts (like 2 nights ago) and it’s not as good as it was.

molgrips
    Free Member

It does require a better connection than the old one. You can switch back, drop down in the top right.

stumpy01

I don’t mind it too much, but there are a few things that bug me.

I don’t get why they seem to think that bundling it all in together is a good idea; the separate ‘maps’ and ‘nav’ worked fine. Now it seems more fiddly to get the nav up and running. I don’t know whether it actually is, but it feels like it is. Also, the way they have done ‘cards’ for the alternative routes is pretty clunky in actual use.
    To me, it seems like they have tried hard to tie in the look of it to the ‘Google Now’ system, regardless of whether it works well or not.

Also, they have got rid of the zoom in/out buttons on the map, which can make moving the map around a bit tricky.
    For example, the other week I was trying to follow the map to a particular street and already had one hand full. I had my phone in the other hand and scrolling around the screen was OK, but zooming in/out almost impossible as you need to use one hand to hold the phone and the other to use the zoom pinch gesturing.

It also seems to have a few bugs. When using it as a sat nav, sometimes when i turn the screen off, upon turning it back on again it displays the map, then switches to the lock screen, then remembers that lock screen is disabled and eventually re-opens the nav. When it does this, for some reason the route has disappeared from the map and you have to switch to ‘route preview’ and back to current location to get it to start showing the map again.

allthepies
    Free Member

It’s not intuitive to me. Their UI designers dropped the ball IMO.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’ve yet to play with it, came as an update last night and I really liked the old version and used it quite a lot.. hmmm now you lot have worried me 😐

scotroutes

You can zoom in/out with one finger. Just double-tap the screen and then slide up or down.

AlexSimon

Just tried it – some of it is very poorly done. You have no ideas what’s about to happen when you click on some of the elements.
    Pretty intimidating UI.
    Funnily enough I was just reading an article about UIs like this:
    http://sixrevisions.com/user-interface/when-flat-design-falls-flat/#!

birky
    Free Member

Not half as bad as the update to 4.2.2 on my Tab 2. It’s sh!te … slow, laggy, freezing 😥

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘New Google Maps – Is it just me?’ is closed to new replies.