Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • New Get a Map from OS
  • spando
    Free Member

Check out the new get a map website its very, very good, way better than the old version. All you have to do is register and you have access to all of uk 1:50000, 1:25000 and satelite you can make tracks and save them. If you opt to pay £18 a year you have access to more features and full A4 printing. The free version offers half page printing. Its very crisp, smooth and intuitive, very impressive indeed. Check it out:)

Stoner
    Free Member

nice to see Silverlight being “lightweight” 😉

but yep, that looks very nice. cheers will have a play.

http://www.getamap.ordnancesurveyleisure.co.uk/

bonj
    Free Member

ordnance survey are taking over the world.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ir_bandito
    Free Member

can you save tracks as gpx or similar?

I’ve been using bing maps recently for quick and easy web-map browsing to 1:25k
    Combine with snagit for route plotting and printing.
    Needn’t have bought Memory Map. Doh!

DT78
    Free Member

Nice to hear good feedback. If you have anything specific I can pass on to the team

mmb
    Free Member

how about a gps app for smartphones then?

Crell
    Free Member

You asked DT….

Looks good but on Chrome 10.0.648.204

Useability:
    I like the interface but:

The silverlight UI takes quite a while to load – create an exe as an option.

Saving a map with a simple route times out – well it doesn’t time-out, the saving “wheel” just keeps spinning.

Info:
    They need a layers option – not just routes. For example the OS maps don’t show designated cycle paths that appear on printed OS maps / are available digitally from the OS.

They need a social component – layer sharing and search for users – e.g. “all bridleways highlighted in area X” – not just a KML import.

I’m not the target customer as I’ve already got most of the digital OS maps I need, but if they made the subs £10 per annum (rather than the post launch £30) I’d use it anyway. The reason for saying this is that it would be pretty much a perpetual licence / buy for most home users who are interested in walking, cycling or whatever. When I look at the 5 year cost or more, I can buy a lot of OS tiles for that!

trickydisco
    Free Member

Does this mean i’ve wasted my money by buying a garmin with 1:50k OS mapping?

balfa
    Free Member

Nice to hear good feedback. If you have anything specific I can pass on to the team

It doesn’t work at all under firefox with the linux Moonlight version of Silverlight.

ebygomm
    Free Member

We can’t install Silverlight at work and at home I’ve not managed to make Opera and silverlight work satisfactorily yet.

foxyrider
    Free Member

cool 🙂

DT78
    Free Member

Thanks for the comments, I’m not directly involved with the developers as it was built largely by a third party but I’ll pass on to the pm here.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

I don’t know if it is just me, but the tiles seem to take forever to load. Way slower than bing maps 1:25 thou for example.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘New Get a Map from OS’ is closed to new replies.