Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • New Garage advice (again)
  • anokdale
    Free Member

So the time has come to replace the existing double garage we have, it has basically broken and was never any good has it was only single skin breeze block and is too small anyway.

So the plan is to replace it with a larger garage space not a problem as the existing site is plenty big.

We want at least the same size gaarge again with an upper storage room, in fact if it was twice the size it would be fine as we can build back into the garden without a problem.

As a building project numpty and always impressed by the collective knowledge on here what is the best way to approach this, can someone outline the best way to appoint a architect, project manager or whatever is the best way to go about it. Also what sort of cost should i expect to pay for your average double garage build in South Wales / Herefordshire borders so i can at least have a start point cost wise.

Thanks in advance.

wrightyson
    Free Member

You really don’t need a “project manager” for a garage build. First thing Monday get on the phone to the local council, find out what your permitted development rights are in your area if you’re happy with the size of what you can build without full planning get busy if not get a couple of sketches together and apply. They’re quite helpful folk 99 times out of 100. Ring several local builders, ask for price to build ?sqm garage in ?materials with ?doors and full removal of old garage and away you go. Or see this
    Rate my Brickie

nickjb
    Free Member

If you do have PD rights you’ll be limited to 4m high which might be snug for two floors. If it is bigger than 30m2 you’ll also need building regs.

As above a good builder should be able to handle it without architects and project managers. Finding a good builder is the tricky bit. We spoke to several but only 2 actually turned up and only one came back with a quote.

lasty
    Free Member

The only advice id give anyone would be to double skin the roof OR make sure its well insulated – makes such a difference …

wrightyson
    Free Member

What is a double skinned roof?

z1ppy

shirely my dear, it’s a outer shell, a gap filled with insulation, then an inner shell..

anokdale
    Free Member

Thanks for the info, i am not far off the mark then. The old classic applies …finding a good builder.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Shirley as in a composite sheet kind of way but why would you put that on a domestic garage build? It’ll look a fooker!
    Straight forward traditional roof or attic trusses then lat, felt, tile construction. Cellotex between joists then probably just some decent looking ply to form the ceiling,

z1ppy

Eh Wrightyson? You mean a double layered skin then?

sambob
    Free Member

Hard to find a good builder around here that’s not busy until September 🙁

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘New Garage advice (again)’ is closed to new replies.