Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • New full suss frame wanted – suggestions on a postcard….
  • tthew

Dear Hivemind.

To cut a long story short, I don’t like the bike I have as much as what it replaced when broken. That was a Commencal Super 4, and the Specialized Camber I have now is not as good a climber, not as sharp on the singletrack that I mostly ride, it’s got a slacker angles and a high bottom bracket. It’s a great bike, just not suited to my riding style or locations.

So, what frame could I transfer all the bits onto. I’m looking at the lower end of the price range here, and the 2 I’m thinking of would be the Santa Cruz Superlight or Titus X Carbon, both at £999.

Any opinions or suggestions as to what else I could consider? Ta.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Giant Anthem X?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member
    Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Saracen Arielbargain from the same shop!

tthew

Anthem x – good call, thought it was more expensive than that.
    Nobeerinthefridge – Have you any experience of the Superlight? The Ariel is indeed a bargain, but probably even more Gnar than the camber.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

No experience of the Superlight, I ride a Heckler, and imagine that the super would be a better climbing, more all round version of the Heckler.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Nukeproof Mega £900, perhaps a bit too burley for you, certainly no Superlight

tthew

Definitely too ‘core.

I’m not really tempted by another Commencal, they don’t have a distributor in the UK at the moment, which was a major problem with getting the warrantee claim sorted out when the first one broke.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

tthew – I’ve gone through 3 Super 4’s. Latest warranty version is sitting in the garage unbuilt.

What I got just before Christmas that consigns the super 4 to the backup pile is a Canyon Nerve XC. Slightly over budget as a built bike but you could sell off the un-needed bits to recover some of the cost.

Anyway – a better bike in most ways – especially climbing. Slightly longer travel. Maybe lacks the bottomless travel feel of the Super but it doesnt split in half ever 5 rides so I’m well happy. Similar BB height.

Also they do a 30 day return policy.

tthew

Broken more than one Super 4 frame?? I thought they’d cured the problems later on.

Now I know I said I’d not have another, but if you’ve got one sitting unused….

Not a large by any chance is it? 😉

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

tthew – Its a medium. At the moment it’s half a 2011 matt red front and half a 2012 black (lower swingarm only). Not the prettiest tbf. Before the latest issue:

tthew

Aah, too small then. Not too bothered about the look of the thing, would only get worse with the addition of all the lime green highlighed bits from the Camber!

Bregante

What about a Nicolai Helius CC? I’m sure someone was selling an unused large 2010 frame on here the other week for £900. I’ve got one and I love it. Mines set up for 140 travel but it’s still a superb climber.

FOG

Oh dear! I have broken one Super 4 frame so I may be due another.
    My ’09 was replaced by a ’10 which definitely seemed beefier in the broken area [seat tube just above top tube junction] but it looks like there are other areas for concern. I shall follow this thread with interest as I may be in the same position soon.
    A real pity as the Super 4 rides very well compared to mates’ similar bikes but no use if it is going to break regularly.

neninja
    Free Member

What about a Nicolai Helius CC? I’m sure someone was selling an unused large 2010 frame on here the other week for £900. I’ve got one and I love it. Mines set up for 140 travel but it’s still a superb climber.

Good call – I love my Helius CC (it replaced an Anthem X). Not as quick uphill as the Anthem but lots more fun. You can set it at shorter travel if that’s your preference.

This is the ad for the new unused frame – http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fs-large-ano-black-helius-cc-unused-as-new

tthew

Ooh, thanks. I may do a bit of research into that.

FOG, my super 4 went where one of the chainstays attaches to the lower pivot.

Just to clarify a bit, it’s more the pin-sharp handling of the Super 4 than the climbing I miss. The Camber is a (comparitively) slack old beast.

chakaping
    Free Member

Buy this and sell the bits you don’t need?

http://www.pedalon.co.uk/acatalog/giant_anthem_x3_.html

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘New full suss frame wanted – suggestions on a postcard….’ is closed to new replies.