Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • New full sus bike. 'Dale Habit or Giant Anthem / Anthem SX?
  • flashinthepan
    Free Member

Got a little bit of money to treat myself.

My full suspension bike is a 10 year old Giant Anthem; a bike I’ve loved. But it is a bit steep and too racy for me now as a 46 year old.

Looking for something just a little more relaxed, not full XC but not a 140mm trail bike either (my lads both have 140/150mm bikes both of which I dislike riding). Most my riding is Swinley with my lads or local loops in the Chilterns, including long days on the Ridgeway

Current favourite is the Cannondale Habit 4 (2016) from Paul’s which I can get for £1450. Frame, forks (I like the Lefty) and wheels all look very decent for that money. Other options that are obvious are a new Anthem / Anthem SX (or possibly a Trance, though I think it’s more than I need).

Need to focus on frame, forks and wheels as I have brakes and 1 x 11 drivetrain that can be swapped from my Anthem. Nothing wrong with them, I know, but I don’t want a Spesh or Trek (sorry). Happy to consider 2nd hand, but (assuming I go to 27.5) I’ll need a frame, forks, wheels and tyres.

Thoughts? What else?

tall_martin

Orange segment?

Garry_Lager

The 2017 anthem has changed quite a bit for 27.5 – more travel and a relaxation of geometry (I believe the anthem 29er is more or less unchanged). It will almost certainly be a superb bike, but after 10 years on an anthem I could see why you might fancy a change.

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

If you like your Anthem why not try & get a demo on the new version?
    That way you’ll be able to judge whether or not it’s evolved into the bike your’e looking for?
    Love my 2013 Anthem,I’ve got some 120mm forks to try on it,to see if it makes it a more ‘relaxed’ ride.

RichT

Zesty XM fromn CRC?

ehrob

I ended up with a Transition Scout, but I looked long and hard at a Habit. They look like ace fun, but too many proprietary bits, lack of demo bike, and Cdale’s reputation for warranty put me off. Though that might be unfair, I don’t actually know for sure.

flashinthepan
    Free Member

Thanks all.

Got a demo lined up on the Habit next weekend

Enlighten me on C’dale’s warranty reputation

coomber
    Free Member

I’ve not read a warranty issue with cannondale for years. I’d say from that they are as good as any others.

What’s proprietary on the habit by the way? Saw one last week at the LBS and thought it looked quite norm for cannondale ie regular shock etc.

zerolight
    Free Member

My Cannondale (Trigger) has been rock solid since I got it. My KS Lev on the other hand has been warranty repaired twice, but its always super quick and fast. Go check the Trigger thread, it’s huge, you can’t miss it. There’s been one cracked carbon and one cracked alu frame in there, and they were replaced no questions. Best bike I’ve owned. If the Habit has a Lefty (which is also awesome), TFT are the warranty centre and are always good – Cannondale gave us all a free upgrade to new internals recently.

That Habit 4 bike on Pauls looks awesome. Amazing colour too!

iainc

I had a 650b 2015 Anthem SX and have just changed it for a new Anthem 1. Very different bike, better in every way for me. A bit lower and longer, much better fork and shock for xc riding, more forgiving on the downs, climbs as well as the old one. My initial criteria was very similar to yours :

here

barnaclebill
    Free Member

Hi flashinthepan; Im an "older" rider [66, to be precise], but a lifelong roadie and MTBer [when it was invented]. I enjoy my Felt Nine Elite [29er hardtail] but was finding it increasingly bumpy across the South Downs. Have bought myself a Boardman MTB FS PRO. It is just a fabulous, fabulous bike, and looked on with envy by my £3k bike owning friends. The spec is simply amazing for £1200. Dont let Halfords put you off…the Boardman frame is smooth weld, light, well finished, and put together by a very competent bike mechanic in Shoreham Halfords. I looked at loads of bikes before buying this. Get one!!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘New full sus bike. 'Dale Habit or Giant Anthem / Anthem SX?’ is closed to new replies.