Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • new FS will I need to fiddle with the rear settings?
  • sefton
    Free Member

I’ve just got my new FS frame (turner flux) will I need to fiddle with the settings on the rear shock or are they generally ok from the box?

LoCo
    Free Member

Go through and set it all up, have a look at my setup guide:

http://locotuning.co.uk/tech-info.html

and enjoy the new bike over the long weekend! 😀

steveh

Definitely check them out. Note where they are no (clicks to open/closed and air pressure) and play around a bit, if it makes it worse go back, if better stick with the new ones.

WackoAK
    Free Member

Set the sag you want (assuming it’s an air shock) then mess about with the other settings to see the difference when riding.

sefton
    Free Member

to be completely honest how do I adjust the sag on both forks & shocks? 😳

I have sid race forks and a fox shock

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

on a flux you can just leave the propedal off, which makes it easier.

Set the sag according to the Turner site – this should be ok unless your suspension is stiff – with the top shock bolt undone you should be able to compress the suspension from full travel to none by just pushing down on the saddle with one hand.

For the rebound I just would push the bike down and release and adjust the rebound so it is reasonably damped (doesn’t spring back too fast or too slow), and then see what it is like riding.

that should be it 🙂

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

the forks have a body weight guide on them so start by setting the pressures accordingly.

TooTall
    Free Member

If the other posters on here are anything to go by, you’ll spend more time messing with the shocks than actually riding the bike!

transapp
    Free Member

Assuming air shock, tie a zip tie around the stations (bit where the shock slides on, the shiney bit) then sit on the bike. the shock will move a small amount of its travel ue to your weight alone, that movement is called sag. Adjust air pressure so that it’s 20% of the total travel (ie in 100mm forks, 20mm sag) as a starting point. You won’t go to far wrong around that figure.

If coil shock, Different springs are needed to get the differing sag settings. Same other principals apply.

LoCo
    Free Member

If you have any queries, feel free to give me a bell at the workshop 😀

sefton
    Free Member

how do I adjust the air pressure (or measure it)? do I need a pump?

is this something a LBS can help me with quite quickly?

LoCo
    Free Member

You need a shock pump (fox ones are probably best) your local bike shop should be able to help you with base setup and then adjust to suit you.

My guide has a problem solver at the bottom of each section to help with diaognosis of any issues that you maybe having. 😀

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

this must be a troll, surely – do I need a shock pump???

seanodav
    Free Member

Would think a frame at that price would come with one?

molgrips
    Free Member

You will need to get on top of this because forks and shock will slowly leak air over the months. Plus as the weather changes it might affect your shock too.

A little bit of knowledge goes a long way 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘new FS will I need to fiddle with the rear settings?’ is closed to new replies.