Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • New front wheel XC717 on Hope Pro2?
  • mcboo
    Free Member

Going on a hardtail, mostly be XC type stuff with a couple of Lakes trips each year, nothing too hairy.

Do I need to look any further than XC717 and Pro2 for £101 handbuilt? Havent had Hope hubs before but know a lot of you like them. Ta.

mattstreet

Sounds perfect for what you'll be using it for.

May not be an issue, but you may struggle to get fatter tyres, say >2.3, on an XC717.

mcboo
    Free Member

2.25 Schwalbe feel plenty big for me. Light is good too.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    uplink
    Free Member

Stans ZTR355 is worth looking at
    Lighter than the 717 & wider

hora
    Free Member

Lakes? I'd do say no. Go for a slightly wider rim- the tiny bit extra gram-weight wont hurt you too much but it will mean you can run your psi slightly lower and not pinchflat soo much.

Mavic 321's here- No pinchflats front or back in almost a year. Ive seen alot of people on rides with me suffer them. Whereas on 4.1/717's I had my fair share.

Swalsey
    Free Member

+1 for wider rims. I'm an aggressive XC rider most of the time, and I've ding'ed and buckled 3 717 rims… and IMO wide tyres don't sit as well on them.

hora
    Free Member

Ps. I run my tubes at 30-35psi max and I weigh 220lb BTW. They might not look like much difference but its huge out on the trails.

_tom_
    Free Member

Another of my shameless plugs, I've got an XC717 non-disc on a Hope XC hub that I need to get rid of. £40 posted if you're interested.

mcboo
    Free Member

OK thanks, will have a look at the Stans rim.

Also, tell me about Pro3 hubs. I had a look at the Hope website, implies they are non-disc only, didnt think that was the case. Are they a worthwhile upgrade from the Pro2?

uplink
    Free Member

If you decide to go for Stans
    Give Roger a call – there's no one who knows more about wheels than he does

http://www.wheelpro.co.uk/

mcboo
    Free Member

uplink thanks, I will and I will. According to Roger's page the Pro2 is easy to switch from QR to 15mm…..I have 1 of each on my bikes so this makes perfect sense. New Crest rim replacing the 355 might be worth hanging on for.

I know you guys know all this stuff already.

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

uplink "Stans ZTR355 is worth looking at
    Lighter than the 717 & wider" where did you get you weights from? 395g for 717 and 470g for flow! off their websites.

njee20
    Free Member

What are you on about? The Flow and the 355 are totally different rims. The 355s are lighter than the XC717, <370g IIRC!

I'd definitely get a Hope Hoop on a 355 rim, excellent value, light, easy to convert to tubeless.

mboy
    Free Member

I'd definitely get a Hope Hoop on a 355 rim, excellent value, light, easy to convert to tubeless.

And cheaper than the £101 quoted above if bought online from many of the major web based bicylce retailers!

717 is a bit narrow, and a bit flimsy for most uses. Fine for pure XC riding, but even then, you can get lighter and wider rims these days. Stans 355 (or it's new replacement the Crest) gets my vote, though if you want to go wider, there's always Mavic's own 719 (a good rim) or the Stans Flow you could choose without too much weight penalty. Rims like the Mavic 321 provide too much of a weight penalty IMO unless most of your riding is gravity based.

uplink
    Free Member

Lighter than the 717 & wider" where did you get you weights from?

I think it's called a 355 for a reason 😉

nicko74

mboy – 355s on Pro 2 for less than £101 per wheel – any particular places in mind?

mcboo
    Free Member

Last thing…..I'm 6'3, weigh 87kg in my socks. Want to shave as much weight off the bike as I can but am I too big for 355/Crest, should look at the Flow instead?

uplink
    Free Member

I don't think you'll get a rear for that price but fronts are ~£95 from most places last time I looked

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

sorry clicked on the wrong rim, I go back to watching harry potter. …… 😀
    go for stans they are good!

mcboo
    Free Member

Sounds like 355 are getting out of stock everywhere pending the Crest taking it's place. Might have to hang on until May for the Crest to appear.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘New front wheel XC717 on Hope Pro2?’ is closed to new replies.