Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • New frame woe. Water bottle mount.
  • zippykona

Just got a Santa Cruz Superlight frame. Before I ordered it I spoke to the importer to check that it had 2 bottle mounts.
    It does but as you can see from the picture there isn’t room for a bottle. There will be even less room once the shock compresses.
    Does anyone have any cunning plans,is this the silliest bit of bike design for a long time.
    Yes I do need a water bottle and a seat post mount isn’t exactly convenient .
    My dream bike might have to go back.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

camel back?

IGMC…

Under the tube I seem to recall is one place. Is it a very small frame?

After that perhaps one of those TT style bar mounted ones.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Small 500 ml bottle and a specialized z cage
    It’s a side entry cage that works a treat on full sus bikes

rickon
    Free Member

You can buy a seat post bottle cage mount, or a saddle one.

Or you can ride with a camelbak like most?

batman11
    Free Member

There,s this little gizmo in the fresh goods friday! Monkii Clip
    you could check it oyut.

zippykona

The mount underneath is not accessible on the go and the bottle will get covered in crap.
    Camelback is not realistic for everyday use.
    A usable bottle mount is a deal breaker for me and am mighty peeved. Shall investigate the Spesh bottle and mount.

rOcKeTdOg

Giant branded side entry smaller bottle on mine

zippykona

Mr dog what size frame do you have? Mine’s a medium.

rOcKeTdOg

large

zippykona

Poo. Shall speak to Jungle tomorrow.

superleggero
    Free Member

I have a medium Superlight frame with BBB Sidecage 2 water bottle cage holding the smaller Camelback Podium 610ml water bottle, mounted in the centre of the frame. It’s snug but it all works okay under the shock etc. Side entry bottle cage is the way to go and whichever you get make sure the rear of the cage ie the bottle base area does not foul the suspension workings. Not the greatest design if you need a water bottle but it is possible. Hope this helps.

user-removed
    Free Member

You bought a tiny full suss frame and want to mount a water bottle?! As above, just buy a Camelbak – no reason you can’t use it on daily rides. At all.

Stop being such a diva.

Here you go – you won’t even notice it’s there…

All the water you need

slackalice
    Free Member

Buyers remorse perhaps?

Wally

You want one of these…..
    Ebay link to the item
    I have the same frame – colour and everything, but in large – works for me and I have never ever had a bottle fall off. IMO It’s the only solution – the space is too small for me too for a forward removal bottle cage. What is nice about the magnet are the clean lines when you have no bottle. Oh – buy a spare bottle so you can Milton one and keep the bugs at bay.

allthepies
    Free Member

ooops, perhaps worth a bit more research next time.

feisty
    Free Member

Camelbak man, aside from your issue they are more efficient fr drinking little and often, and for everyday use why do you even in need to take a drink? If I ride for less than 40 – 30 miles I don’t bother, and even if you must take a drink on short rides popping a camelbak on is hardly a biggy.

Oh and bottles on bikes just look so pants 😆

Edric64
    Free Member

I prefer a bottle to a camelback as well .I dont like carrying stuff on my back when cycling .Mind you there were team riders at bikefest going out with bloody great bags on everylap

Wally

Bottle and saddle bag with very carefully thought out essentials is where it’s at IMO. A free cool back is a lovely thing – you feel fresher for considerably longer, is my experience.

orangeboy
    Free Member

I still use a bottle and cage on my enduro , just don’t like having a bag on for anything but big days out

zippykona

In a way its quite refreshing and an indicator of how far we have come as a society that I should get STWed for wanting to drink out of a water bottle rather than riding a 29er.
    Well done everyone.
    Sensible suggestions are still welcome.
    I did think about those magnetic bottles but would like to know it will fit before laying out £40.

Wookster

orangeboy – Member
    Small 500 ml bottle and a specialized z cage
    It’s a side entry cage that works a treat on full sus bikes

POSTED 7 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

This.

rOcKeTdOg

Ruck sacks with all your worldly possessions (or that’s what is seems like) are fine for touring & bivvying but otherwise why do it? I hate them myself

offthebrakes
    Free Member

As some of the others say, side-entry bottle cage will allow you to get a 500ml bottle in.

Not ideal, but it hasn’t stopped me doing rather a lot of racing on my Superlight over the last 5+ years. Having said that, looking forward to having triple the capacity when I hopefully get a new xc hardtail soon.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

You can get camel backs that are small and compact that have nothing but the liquid bladder. A mate of mine has such a camelback with a 1ltr bladder and it really is tiny. These things are very small and you really don’t know you’ve got them on once you get used to them and the don’t impede you or your riding at all. Really – how many FS bikes out there now have room for large capacity water bottles? Many bikes these day’s don’t even have bottle cage bosses. Do you really want to compromise your choice of bike for this?

scotroutes
    rogerthecat
    Free Member

What about something like this? I wear a bum bag rather than pack of the reasons stated by everyone ^^^ but I have had comments! But my bike is rigid so have loads of room.

Holyzeus
    Free Member

You’d rather choose a different bike than wear a small camelbak?
    I have two, a Mule which you do notice and a small 1.5 L one with one tiny pocket, you dont know its on.
    You can drink much easier than a bottle and it wont ruin your SC’s beautiful lines….

steve_b77
    Free Member

I far prefer riding without a pack and choosing the bottle instead.

No more sweaty back and a more comfortable ride.

Wally

These might help you deciding if magnetic bottle fits.

DezB
    Free Member

I used one of these http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=5146 on my 575 for a couple of races. The bottle sits at an angle to the frame, so doesn’t have to fit under the shock. People keep tellign you you’re losing your bottle 🙂 but it does stay put.

zippykona

Thanks Wally, think you’ve got a whole lot more room there than me. Will measure when I get home.
    Have had a good investigate and there are all kinds of mounts out there and I can fit one on the bars as a worst case scenario.
    Was wondering about running cables inside swing arm or outside . You’ve answered that question as well.

rickon
    Free Member

Still a little confused, if you’re only drinking 500ml in a ride, you could just drink that before heading out.

If it’s an all day ride, you’d be looking at 2.5l ‘ish at least. Do you re-fill and then carry on riding?

I know it sounds a bit pushy, but there’s a simple solution to your problem, which costs about £20 and you’ll forget it’s there after a couple of rides. My mate who does 24 hour races prefers his camelbak when racing, as he doesn’t need to stop or get new bottles every lap.

It’s worth considering, as it’ll save you a lot of hassle, and choosing a sub-optimal solution 🙂

Wally

I am doing the “wrong” thing by running them inside – I had to put Helitape in and rubber thingies from Decathlon on the cables to stop them rubbing through the weld. But I like them tucked away, so works for me. Shop whole builds have them running outside. I have a large frame 5’11”.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘New frame woe. Water bottle mount.’ is closed to new replies.