Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 91 total)
  • New Frame Ideas – 5"ish Travel / Slack / Fun
  • chakaping
    Free Member

I had a Foxy and thought it was amazing. It is very long, very low, quite slack and very light. Cornered like nothing else I have ever ridden.

I thought it was quite a wheels on the ground bike (but mine was quite long – eventually sold because too big for me and bought a Dune). The “Zero” suspension is quite stick to the ground-y though.

I would recommend a Foxy but also would mention the downsides: Was a bit flexy (do they have a maxle rear now?), dodgy QC in 2010 and 2011 leading to many bolts either stuck in or trying to jump out by themselves, spares expensive and availabiity unreliable.

It has 16 pivots I think, so won’t be cheap or easy to replace that lot.

Edit: Oh, and the sizing is a bit weird, make sure you try one.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

hora
    Free Member

If SC do make a alu TR I’d wait personally.

continuity
    Free Member

LT2, Stumpy (Evo?), TranceX

mikey74
    Free Member

As someone who has owned a Banshee/Mythic Rune, I can confirm that they are one Brand to stay away from, at least until they start using bearings instead of bushings.

They are lovely bikes to ride, but a nightmare to maintain. In fact, I still have my Rune frame sitting in my garage sans shock. It still rides fine, but there is play in the pivots that I can’t get rid of.

skywalker
    Free Member

Definitely demo a Five.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I too am wondering what happened to the Ragley Ten-Four et al. ? They looked interesting.

jedi

transition bottlerocket is my choice 🙂

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

See, the Knolly looks lovely. But I doubt its going to be in my budget. Light though for what it looks like… a pound lighter than the Cotic Rocket?

toons
    Free Member

£1699

wrecker
    Free Member

…….and not available for a while.

james
    Free Member

Knollys are certainly not cheap. IIRC the Chilcotin (160mm ish) was about £2k frame only?

” issue with the shock .. should get it back this week”
    lol. Hopefully will be better for you than for me, I did get sorted in the end, its much better now, but seems quite easy to bottom even with little sag/in max floodgate setting, though I never feel it bottom out?

toons
    Free Member

Early June

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I’m in the market for something very much the same. However, with the addition of light(ish), to your list. I’ve been pondering over 4X type frames for low, slack and shorter travel ie Intense Tazer VP, but stuff like that is difficult to demo.
    I can borrow SC TRc’s but they are way out of my price league, so pointless even demoing.
    I’m considering a Transition Bandit and it seems to tick the boxes, 125mm travel, 68 degree HA, low BB, reasonably light, looks nice. For me, it has to build light or it won’t get used, I can’t be arsed lugging a heavy bike around. I’ve slavered over stuff like the Endorphin, Covert, Blood and I just know that they wouldn’t get ridden because of their weight. I think the Bandit frame incl shock is 6.8lbs, so it’s possible to reasonably cheaply get a 28lb bike and 25lb is achievable.

wrecker
    Free Member

Looks like that knolly is 6.6lb frame with shock and axle.
    That thing will ride as well as anything on the market, and better than that vast majority IMHO.

widge34
    Free Member

There is a Mondraker Foxy R frame for sale in the classifieds seller is called Scant. Lovely looking frame £700

mamadirt
    Free Member

Another vote for a Blood – flinkin’ fantastic little bike (heck, I’ve had mine almost 3 weeks now – it must be good 😆 ) and if huws’ is too small (they are quite long though and that neon green looks the nuts), then All Terrain Cycles still have 17″ers in stock 8)

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Looks like that knolly is 6.6lb frame with shock and axle.

Is it really? I looked at it 12months ago or more and got the impression the frame was more 7+lbs, so thinking it would build a bike of 30-32lb(ish).

jedi

my bottlerocket is 33-34lb depending on seatpost 🙂
    crossmax sx plus tubless tyres = rotational love 🙂

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I’ve been doing some research and apparently my Blur 4X is around 6.6lbs too so its carrying a pound less than a Rocket etc? Really?

Maybe a large Blur 4X is what I need…

Mugboo

My Mega’s a small but your welcome to have a spin.

paulatmtbleasing
    Free Member

Hi

A few more to add to the mix:
    MSC Zion White R or Hunter RR (if your looking for something quite exclusive)
    Ibis MOJO HD 160
    Liteville 601
    As already mentioned the Transition Bandit and Covert are awesome bikes.

We can help you get a demo ride on a Transition, Ibis (possibly) or MSC if you’re interested.

Cost is always an issue. There is always the option to try and find a sound second hand bike.

However, if you’re looking for a new one, then naturally we think leasing represents a good way to do it.

Enjoy the search. There is a lot of bikes out there to choose from.

WildHunter2009

Bottlerocket! Probably the most fun i’v ever had on a bike, despite not being set up for me and I think to small, so so much fun. This was an old style built from girders and nuclear bunkers one though. Not ridden the new style.

bwaarp
    Free Member

That knolly looks the bomb, loving the colour.

hora
    Free Member

I’ve been doing some research and apparently my Blur 4X is around 6.6lbs too so its carrying a pound less than a Rocket etc? Really?

Maybe a large Blur 4X is what I need…

Why not go lighter unless you do drops etc. Plus why not go with the VPP2 update…..ie a later Santa Cruz! The large 4X is neither here nor there compared to a medium- its actually less than 1/2inch in reality on the TT.

wrecker
    Free Member

Is it really? I looked at it 12months ago or more and got the impression the frame was more 7+lbs, so thinking it would build a bike of 30-32lb(ish).

http://forums.mtbr.com/knolly/all-new-endorphin-trail-bike-780433.html

I see they’ve steepened up the ST as well. May have found my new bike (if there will be demos available).

barbs
    Free Member

So is an alloy Blur TR in the offing or is that just wishful thinking?

stuartanicholson
    Free Member

Newer Giant Reign! Really get on well with mine. Cheap and pretty bombproof. With nothing special (with reverb and big tyres) mines under 29lbs. Low bb, 66.5 ha. Really fun bike to ride.

fairhurst
    Free Member

Ibis mOJO is my weapon of choice.

Kryton57

Crikey we’ve got this far without mentioning a Yeti ASR 5?

For a harder-core fun version of that, the Transition Bandit is hard to beat IMO. The Bandit was second on my list after testing 8 bikes and if it wasn’t for the fact that I wanted it at 120mm / lighter for racing I’d have bought the Bandit.

mildred

Don’t ignore the El Guapo; they’re really nice in the flesh. I had a SuperMoto and it was an absolute hoot to ride. Titus seem to know how to make fun bikes. Seriously good value at the price OO are selling them.

fuzzhead
    Free Member

+1 for Orange Blood

Can be had for cheapness at the moment
    5″ travel
    Can be built up reasonably light
    Slack and low angles
    Jumps like a scalded cat
    Rails turns like a….thing that corners well
    Can run 140mm – 160mm forks
    IT’S FUN!

in neon green FTW

stuartanicholson
    Free Member

Funny thing with bloods, both riders I know who got one have now gone back to 5s. Does that say something?

fuzzhead
    Free Member

interesting – i picked a Blood because i didn’t want a 5…

Naranjada
    Free Member

I haven’t read the whole thread, but I rode a Transition Bandit demo last weekend and thought it was a really nice & fun ride.

mildred

I bought a blood despite having a couple of weeks on a demo bike from Orange and not really getting on with it – I later found the shock was totally borked, and the forks wern’t up to much either.

I bought this after a further test ride on a mate of a mate’s and was blown away. It felt like everything I’d been looking for in my 2011 5, but failed to get (hence me selling it).

I’m now fully converted and even thinking of selling the Nicolai helius, as the Blood’s such a good all-rounder. The RP23 is even working, which is a 1st for me, and the travel feels so well controlled and bottomless – non of the feet boucing off pedals I got with the original demo. here is my (not so) mini review from a year or so ago:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/orange-blood-mini-review

fuzzhead
    Free Member

sorry to hijack the thread, but @mildred, how did you sort the rear suspension on your Blood? Mine never feels quite right, not wrong, but you know, not *right*.
    cheers

paulatmtbleasing
    Free Member

Kryton57 – Member

Crikey we’ve got this far without mentioning a Yeti ASR 5?

For a harder-core fun version of that, the Transition Bandit is hard to beat IMO. The Bandit was second on my list after testing 8 bikes and if it wasn’t for the fact that I wanted it at 120mm / lighter for racing I’d have bought the Bandit

Bandit 1 or 2? Bandit 1 is 25.7lb. 140mm forks/130mm rear but still climbs very well and hammers back down again. Win races and still have fun on the knarly stuff.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 91 total)

The topic ‘New Frame Ideas – 5"ish Travel / Slack / Fun’ is closed to new replies.