Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • New frame for trail centres
  • andyjh

Looking for a new frame to build up a bike for trips to Afan, BPW and other centres. My main bike is really focused on xc and hence is built light with carbon rims etc. and only 100mm travel. Although I’m sure this will be fine at BPW, I will constantly worry about the rims so I want to throw together a more burly bike build with approx. 130-140mm travel. Got to be a 29er as this really works for me and suits my style. Although I would love carbon I think for now alloy would be the more sensible option.

Short list is;
    On-one Codeine
    Switchback Unveil 9
    Stumpjumper

Codeine and Unveil are very close in price when building with the Rockshox Monarch, about £600. Stumpy obviously isn’t yet available in frame only so probably not a serious option right now.

Anyone riden both the Codeine and one of the Switchback versions, Thumper, 130x, Unveil9?

BTW, looking for a Large size frame if anyone has anything to offer 🙂

Cheers,
    Andy

drovercycles
    Free Member

Banshee Prime? Obviously much more expensive than your first two unless you can find one second-hand.

I’m not sure if it’s quite long-travel enough for your requirements, but if you wanted to consider Pyga we have for sale an ex-display/demo OneTen 29er which can be sold either frame only/rolling chasis or complete. 110mm rear travel as the name suggests but suits 130mm fork.

Rorschach
    Free Member

I’ve got a large Codeine (ccdb) frame for sale (along with reverb,hset and some other bits).
    Excellent condition.
    Emither in profile.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    chakaping
    Free Member

The Thumper/Unveil is an awesome all-rounder and eats up trail centres for breakfast, but I can imagine the Codeine might be the more “fun” option – just based on the reviews.

I decided on the Thumper based on a preference for 2×10 and lower weight for riding/carrying up mountains.

andyjh

Hi Rorschach, very interested in your Codeine mate, I emailed you a few days ago about it but haven’t heard back. Can you ping me an email with pics and details please? You had a few other bits in your original thread like Revs and Flows, are these still available?

More fun sounds ideal 🙂 I think/hope both frames would be great for what I’m looking for.

chestrockwell

There’s some good deals on Orange Alpine 5 / 5 29 atm. They are great bikes and seem to fit your criteria perfectly.

pigyn
    Free Member

Recommend what you ride…

Transition Smuggler! I heard there was a large teal available somewhere.

swanny853

I ended up with a commencal meta am 29 when I was looking for something similar. It’s frighteningly fast, although a bit of a tank to be honest but the first bike I’ve really understood the whole ‘weight goes away with speed’ thing. I think it might be stiffness that helps.

You may still be able to get one at reasonable prices, or I think there was one second hand on here recently.

andyjh

Now the Orange Five has me thinking 🙂 Always wanted an Orange but never really thought about them recently but already seen some good deals. Thanks for that suggestion.

Meta, another good idea. Will look into that one also. I think they have gone 650b only now but should be some good deals secondhand.

Rorschach, tried emailing you again mate. I am interested in your Codeine if you want to sell it.

chakaping
    Free Member

I haven’t ridden a Five 29, but it does look a bit overkill for trail centres. Seems more of a big mountain bike (and I’d love one).

Segment would be the preference for trail centres surely.

Bigmantrials

I really like my Hammerhead Thumper (Switchback Unveil9), a great frame for the money, I was initially looking at the Codeine but I not a great fan of hydration packs so the fact I could fit a bottle cage to the Thumper was what swung it for me. Mine is built up with a reverb, revelations, Velocity Blunt SS wheelbase and comes in at around 30lbs which I don’t think is too bad really!

I tink my next bike will be something a little shorter travel, like a Camber Evo, Pyga Oneten29 or Smuggler though.

batman11
    Free Member

Just ignour me

andyjh

Well, I’m about to find out if an Orange Five is overkill as I just bought one!! 😀 Not considered one before and this was a real left field suggestion but what I considered to be a good deal was out there so went for it. Only one way to find out now and that’s ride it when it gets here.

Bit like when I bought a Fatbike eh Batman, lol. Btw, still got it and love it 🙂

ratherbeintobago

Did you go for a 650B or 29er Five?

andyjh

29er mate, still not converted to 650b 🙂

chakaping
    Free Member

Pics and report back once you’ve ridden it.

🙂

ratherbeintobago

Hey, I’m also a 29er convert 😛

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘New frame for trail centres’ is closed to new replies.