Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • New frame – Do I need a new chanset?
  • MRanger156
    Free Member

Old frame has a 72mm BB, new one is 68mm. I have an old Shimano M440 Cranset fitted to the old frame – can I change them across?

If not I presume I would need a new BB so would I just be better off getting a new Deore crankset from CRC for £50?

Going on a Maxlight XC frame.

PJay
    Free Member

You'll need a new bottom bracket to fit the 68mm shell but with the same axle length as the current one (probably 113mm or 118mm). You should be able to pick up a new BB reasonably cheaply (I assume it's a square taper) but a new Deore HTII crankset will include a HTII BB as well as the crankset.

dustytrails

You can change them but why? you'll need new bb anyway. And how are your rings!? If they're Knackered you'll need new casette & chain probably too!!

MRanger156
    Free Member

Deore Crankset comes with BB I think "dusty trails".

Anyone know if there will be a significant weight difference between my olf M440 and a new deore crankset.

How do I know what axle length it is?

rolfharris
    Free Member

Take out the BB and measure it- it'll be either 113mm or 118mm more than likely.

A new BB is £25 RRP (not sure who's doing it for what), and you may as well go for a new chainset as you'll get new rings and have more of a new bike feel.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘New frame – Do I need a new chanset?’ is closed to new replies.