Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • New Frame
  • jiff1209
    Free Member

Hi all

First post on te forum, and I’m looking for some advice.
    I’ve got a hairline crack in my trusty old Marin Attack trail frame so am looking to get myself something new.

I’ve been offered a pretty good deal on a 2012 Camber Comp frame from my local shop, but have never ridden one.
    Anyone got any thoughts on one as a replacement?

z1ppy

There were well thought of as far as I know, just check with the shop, what bits will swap straight over and what will need to be replaced… as it doubtful everything will just fit.
    Eg: Seat post, headset type, front derailiers, brake mounts, might be all different sizes.
    Little things like this will add to your simple frame swap/upgrade costs.
    If you could flog your old bits (if there any good) & add the upgrade/frame costs, you might be coming out with the same money for a end of year bargain.

The main concern nowadays for ‘older’ frames, that I see is, getting new straight steerer fork (2012 camber is 1 1/8 top & bottom). Maybe not an issue for you now, but what about next year or the year after when yours dies & you need to replace it?

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Check bikescene first they have some brilliant deals on Cambers and Stumpjumper frames.

£500 for the 2012 camber.

http://www.bikescene.co.uk/Specialized-Camber-Comp-26-Frame-5977-92-0.html

Unless they are already your LBS of course.

seavers
    Free Member

I reckon z1ppy has hit the nail on the head, no tapered steerer. The 2013 Camber is tapered though. Might be worth checking out the Buy/Sell on Pink Bike. Lots of new frames pop up. I’m not sure who makes a 1 1/8 straight fork these days but your options would be limited. If you want to use your fork in a tapered head tube you can easily find a work around, but not the other way. Welcome to the forum anyway!

jiff1209
    Free Member

Good point on the tapered steerer. I was hoping to reuse as many of the components from my old frame. Basically consists of Fox float TALAS RLC 120mm front forks 1 1/8th diameter, xt drive train, hollow techs, hope M4’s etc. I guess I could break for parts but not sure I’d get the same level back! Damn frame cracks, I was happy without this conundrum!!

chakaping
    Free Member

Hope do a little metal collar that sits over your steerer tube, and you can then put the 1.5in crown race over the top of that to fit your fork in a tapered HT frame.

maxtorque

Have you thought about getting it welded? It’s an old bike, so a quick bit of TIGing, even an “unsightly” patch would probably see you through another year or so ??

z1ppy

chakaping, you got any more details/links about that?

jiff1209
    Free Member

I did think about getting it welded up. Unfortunately can’t find anywhere in Bristol locally that will do it. There’s also the worry that it might just snap completely as the crack has progressed halfway through the lower tube i.e. 50%. That would be a painful thing to happen whilst out!
    One of the ex-aircraft AL welders at work reckoned it was easily enough done, but again can’t find anyone to weld.
    Is the concesus flog the bits and buy a new bike then?

jairaj

If the chamber has ZS44 head tube then there are many headsets available that will allow you to use a tapered steerer. An external bottom cup I think an ES56 will do the trick. Seen options available from hope, cane creek, on one, superstar to name a few.

z1ppy

Ain’t that a reducer?
    To run 1+1/8 fork’s on a tapered (or 1.5) headtube?

chakaping
    Free Member

Yep, that’s what I was describing.

z1ppy

My apologies, I misinterpreted you original post.. And re-reading it I’ve absolutely no idea why 😳

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘New Frame’ is closed to new replies.